Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Under General Supervision, responsible for coordinating, conducting and documenting complex financial analysis, and/or reporting projects, and/or maintaining financial systems. Position does not manage others, But may serve as a team lead. Team Lead: Directs daily work activities of a small group of employees. Works with higher level manager to set goals/objectives and provides input regarding performance of employees being led.
Small Commercial Finance is seeking a highly motivated Manager to join the Small Commercial Strategic Analytics Finance team. The Small Commercial team primarily supports the Select division in a fast paced environment that provides the candidate an opportunity to gain an understanding of a flow driven business model. Specific duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Financial Modeling and Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA)
- Assist in the development of various financial modeling requests, including CBAs to support business investment requests.
- Tasks include compiling relevant and accurate assumptions, analyzing and interpreting trends in business performance & the marketplace, and partnering with other functional areas to ensure accuracy. Interactions include subject matter experts as well as functional business leaders.
- Support the development of consistent productivity models within Small Commercial and the Business Insurance Business Centers.
- Ownership of monthly productivity/staffing models, including analyzing trends and proactively communicating projected changes.
- Partner with subject matter experts within the business and data teams to ensure models accurately reflect the most current business assumptions.
- Leverage productivity/staffing models to support the census approval process.
- Other Items
- Provide support for the annual field calibration process.
- Assist with development of senior leadership presentations as needed.
- Competitive intelligence monitoring/reporting.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Assist in the design, preparation, evaluation and validation of complex internal and/or external financial and operational reports, both routine and ad-hoc. Perform and review analysis and interpretation of trends and variances in business performance, interacting with cross functional peers on a frequent basis. Validate analyses. Synthesize and present exhibits, results, observations, recommendations to cross functional peers and management. Accountable for tactical production of financial plan in support of the Business plan and forecast for the organization (annual, ongoing and long term). Apply basic accounting and financial concepts and controls to provide subject matter expertise in the development, implementation or enhancement of financial, operations and business applications. Identify, use and train others on appropriate tools to obtain, compile and analyze more complex data necessary to support more advanced financial reports and analysis, and provide input on potential tool utilization enhancements. Accountable for tactical production of overall strategic plan including an advanced understanding of impact of competitor, market and industry landscape. Prepare and review external financial statements including, but not limited to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), SEC and STAT (Statutory Accounting Principles). Review and approve complex financial activities for various lines of business including journal entries and account reconciliations. Perform and review financial controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements. Support supplier management by providing input to manager in assessing risk, reviewing contracts, and monitoring results. Other duties as assigned.
Minimum of 3 years of related experience.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting preferred. Typically 4+ years of related experience. General knowledge of Financial Analysis concepts, principles and processes.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
General knowledge of the insurance business. Intermediate analytic skills. General knowledge of accounting practices and principles. Intermediate data utilization skills to access and gather data, including a basic understanding of what the data represents. Intermediate written and verbal communication skills. Intermediate time management/ prioritization skills. Intermediate ability to solve problems and suggest solutions. Intermediate decision making skills. Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook). Intermediate influencing of cross functional peers. Intermediate business perspective including an understanding of the political nature of the organization. Intermediate project management skills. Ability to identify customers needs and take appropriate action to meet those needs. Ability to work well in tight timeframes and deadlines. Intermediate ability to present material concisely.
Operates standard office equipment (Frequently) Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.