Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$100,200.00 - $165,300.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under general direction, the Director, Corporate Real Estate Design is responsible for effective workplace strategy and design including: creating and maintaining workplace design standards, space programming, space planning, occupancy and space management, asset management, facility utilization, and the assessment/analysis of existing and future opportunities enterprise wide across Travelers geographically disbursed portfolio of corporate offices throughout the U.S. and International locations. The Director, Design is responsible for strategic space planning, delivering Traveler's tenant space fit-outs in coordination with Project team and delivering space based on Clients needs and expectations, while ensuring that Travelers maximizes the use of its corporate facilities and assets. The Design Director is responsible for selection of all 3rd party Architectural & Design partners., including providing Travelers Scope of Services for Space Planning, review of all work accuracy, quality, fees and assuring they are providing excellent customer service to Traveler's Clients. This position is responsible for setting strategic workplace design standards, office furniture and commodities procurement, inventory, and installation across a number of corporate campuses, offices, and ancillary support facilities. Must have extensive knowledge, including a degree in either Architecture and/or Interior Design and experience in workplace strategy, design, implementation, and maintenance. In addition, will work closely with leadership from all functional business units including Executives, within Travelers. This position will work across cross-functional organizational business units, primarily collaborating with the planning and execution of integrated workplace strategies. Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
- Manage and oversee the Space Planning team; coordinate work assignments, anticipate needs of the organization and utilize resources appropriately.
- Direct and manage space planning efforts, budgets and scheduling.
- Identify, design and implement comprehensive space planning, facility, and asset management solutions for high level corporate initiatives throughout a geographically disbursed portfolio.
- Program and Project Management:
- Keep abreast of changing headcount (associate or contractor) data and projections, as well as, approved and planned departmental moves/adds/changes; have a strong working knowledge of available options for future accommodations.
- Work with other functional areas within the department to gain a solid knowledge of space options, cost, furniture alternatives, project schedules, timelines, interdependencies and logistics, as well as, departmental standards, policies, and procedures.
- Drive the development of strategic and tactical plans aligned with Corporate Real Estate and business strategy in order to bring the vision into realization.
- Use a critical eye to examine and streamline workflows and processes within the team, to increase efficiency.
- Develop short-term and long-term plans for Space Planning team.
- Drive innovation across the team using a deep understanding of how the planning team works within the organization.
- Keep pace with change and maintains a competitive advantage within the marketplace by seeking out and learning about changes in the field.
- Drive projects and tasks to completion through teams, regardless of changing conditions, by effective space planning.
- Align the teams time and effort on projects that are critical to success.
- Delegate the right tasks and decisions to the people who are in the best position to execute them.
- Provide open feedback and mentorship to team members to encourage growth and greater responsibility.
- Hire, train and develop the talent necessary to achieve stated objectives, providing meaningful development opportunities for individuals in preparation for succession planning.
- Negotiate effectively for the organization with internal and external stakeholders and builds relationships with key individuals necessary for collaboration.
- Develop and present communications, frequently to senior leadership, communicating the desired message, at the appropriate level, for the right recipient.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Strong restacking/space densification experience in large corporate office environment preferred.
- Demonstrated experience to effectively and efficiently manage and organize contract resources, service contractors, projects and programs and working cross-functionally preferred.
- Advanced ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment preferred.
- Advanced communication, analytical, interpersonal and leadership skills in order to manage and lead cross functional teams and initiatives and deliver outstanding customer service.
- Advanced ability to communicate, demonstrate and implement knowledge in creating more effective and efficient work spaces.
- Advanced program/project budgeting and management skills to identify and scope, start, manage and finish programs and projects within budget and on time within schedule.
- Advanced ability to utilize various facility technologies to include Computer Assisted Facility Management (CAFM) system, Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), and Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software to effectively manage and organize headcount data, facility space plans, move management, employee location data, furniture types, etc. to ensure appropriate alignment to business units and needs.
- Thorough knowledge of changes and trends in office space utilization, including floor densification, alternative furniture concepts, space sharing, and alternative workplace strategies.
- Thorough understanding of evolving benchmarking data, architectural design standards, real estate and construction standards.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's Degree in Architecture or Design or related field required.
- Minimum 8 years of experience as a space planner and proven work experience in facility planning, space planning, facility utilization, program and project management for a large, geographically dispersed, campus environment required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.