Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$107,100.00 - $176,700.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers Enterprise Payment & Billing Data & Analytics team constructs pipelines that contextualize and provide easy access to data for the entire enterprise. As a Data Engineer, you will play a key role in growing and transforming our analytics landscape. In addition to your strong analytical mind, you will bring your inquisitive attitude and ability to translate stories found in data by leveraging a variety of data programming techniques. You will leverage your ability to design, build and deploy data solutions that capture, explore, transform, and utilize data to support Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and business intelligence/insights.
What Will You Do?
- Design, build and operationalize complex data solutions, data pipelines and processes to support Business Intelligence and Analytics user community in cloud.
- Design complex data solutions, including incorporating new data sources and ensuring designs are consistent across projects and aligned to data strategies.
- Design, build, test and deploy highly scalable, resilient, cost-effective, and secure cloud-based solutions using best of the breed technologies.
- Develop and deploy the required infrastructure for reliable pipeline execution, especially on cloud platforms, using IaC (infrastructure as code) tools
- Incorporate core data management competencies including data governance, data security and data quality.
- Perform data and system analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of high complexity and correct as appropriate.
- Collaborate across team to support delivery and educate end users on complex data products/analytic environment.
- Strong Communicator who possesses the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the teams can understand, assist in documenting in a clear and concise manner
- Mitigate and address risk resolutions and issues related to technical deliveries and integrations; Provide strong problem-solving skills
- Ensure roadmap of the various technologies align with requirements and approved/agreed upon approaches
- Deliver efforts both independently and by leading other team members.
- Lead investigation and resolution efforts for critical, high impact problems, defects, and incidents.
- Collaborate within and across teams to support delivery and educate end users on complex data products/analytic environment.
- Perform data and system analysis, assessment and resolution for complex defects and incidents and correct as appropriate
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship while fostering a team environment.
- Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Translates highly complex information and effectively lays out pros and cons of alternatives to consider
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM related field or equivalent
- Eight years of related experience
- Highly proficient use of tools, techniques, and manipulation including Cloud platforms, programming languages, and a full understanding of modern software engineering practices.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation.
- Four years of data engineering or equivalent experience.
- Experience building software solutions on Public Cloud such as AWS and cloud native development
- Experience with Microservice Architecture
- Leverage AWS Lambda functions, APIs, AWS CLIs & AWS SDK.
- Experience with various file formats, like Parquet
- Experience in event streaming architectures, such as Apache Kafka
- Experience migrating data from legacy platform like IMS, DB2 etc.
- Professional experience in a fully automated DevOps environment, GitLab CI/CD, Terraform
- Experience working with Agile teams.
- Preferred AWS Certification.
- Familiar developing technical solutions in Python and Java.
- Knowledge of Eventual consistency patter is a plus
- Proficiency in understanding Relational and Dimensional data models
- Ability to establish credibility, influence, and effective working relationships with peers and stakeholders at all levels across the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to be both strategic and tactical in day-to-day interactions
- Strong consensus building skills and ability to convey technical concepts in a clear, understandable way
- Experience in below technologies with deep knowledge of some but not all required:
- Data warehouses: AWS Redshift, Snowflake
- NoSQL: AWS DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, etc.
- Terraform, AWS CloudFormation
- Docker and Container Orchestration
- Logging / monitoring (such as CloudWatch, DataDog)
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Delivery - Advanced delivery skills including the ability to determine the software design strategy and methodology to be used for efforts, use automated tests, analysis, and informed feedback loops to ensure the quality and production readiness of work before release, monitor the health of work efforts and that of adjacent systems.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to develop business partnerships and influence priorities by identifying solutions that are aligned with current business objective and closely follow industry trends relevant to domain, understanding how to apply them, and sharing knowledge with coworkers.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who utilizes data and proofs of concepts to find creative solutions to difficult problems, reflects on solutions, measuring their impact, and uses that information to ideate and optimize. Also adept at making decisions that involve a significant number of factors with broad implications.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document initiatives in a concise and clear
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.