Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$181,000.00 - $289,600.00
What Is the Opportunity?This position has dual reporting into the SVP National Property and the Business Insurance Field Vice President (BI FVP). The position will be responsible for managing/running a Large Property business, and driving an effective Business Insurance (BI) sales and distribution strategy across the breadth of distribution channels. Responsible to partner with BI and Middle Market Distribution to deliver growth, profit and loss in support of the assigned Region. The National Property Managing Directors and their underwriting teams will report up to this role, while maintaining dual alignment with appropriate Market/Practice Leaders.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
- Key accountability for developing and leading sales strategies and tactics to drive a large account business, while leveraging agreed upon distribution relationships to drive opportunities across Business Insurance.
- Across and in alignment with the BI matrix leadership, sets the sales and distribution direction for the Region with active engagement in strategic business discussions and decisions impacting each business unit. Provide direct management of sales activities such as new business development, sales support and customer retention.
- Develop key agency partnerships and build financial plans with partner agencies within assigned Regions to ensure that Travelers is the primary carrier for Large Property.
- In concert with the BI Product Management, will develop regional financial budget and continue ensuring excellence in performance standards and financial goals.
- In partnership with BI Field Leadership, Business Development Directors, and National Property underwriting teams will endeavor to implement sales best practice through empirical analysis of results and resource allocation needs.
- Extensive knowledge of competitor products and capabilities as well as marketplace dynamics and market trends.
- Effectively maintains open, collaborative relationship with BI Field Leadership team around achievement of mutual regional goals.
- Has an active and collaborative partnership with HR around recruiting plans and staff development in order to attract and retain top talent. Works closely with leaders on developing bench strength for all key positions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Underwriting & Pricing
- Strong underwriting acumen within large property market driven by risk selection expertise
- Ability to manage a regional portfolio to consistent profitability in support overall business unit goals
- Demonstrated ability to implement an underwriting strategy considering multiple factors including risk engineering, catastrophe risk, actuarial analysis, and reinsurance
- Effective financial manager of territory production and profitability metrics
Sales & Distribution Management
- Experience and relevant distribution relationships within the large property market , including national retail brokers, regional agencies, wholesale brokers and agents, and reinsurance markets
- Communicate business unit underwriting strategies and appetite effectively both internally to other BI teams and externally with distribution partners to drive submission activity within appetite in order to meet or exceed production goals
- Position underwriting teams for success within their assigned sales territories with effective messaging of the TRV value proposition and leadership support
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in insurance discipline.
- 7 years of property underwriting experience
- Large Property Underwriting and Portfolio Management experience required.
- Demonstrated leadership ability to manage high performing teams successfully
- Experience with dual reporting relationships in a matrix organization.
- Strong agency management experience preferably in large and middle market agency distribution.
- Strong general Management background with P & L accountability.
- Exceptional organization, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, interpersonal, time management, verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelors degree required and MBA or Masters Degree preferred.
- Demonstrated results orientation; strong motivational leadership, technical sales & marketing, managerial and change management capabilities.
- Effectively promotes Enterprise initiatives and actively participates with Enterprise leaders in promoting supportive culture.
- Ability to strategically maximize direct and indirect resources of the Sales and Underwriting team toward achievement of desired results.
- Knowledge of National Property operating model, product management discipline, products, operations, and agency distribution.
- Solid experience building an organization, teams and attracting and developing top talent.
- Ability to create and sustain a dynamic workplace.
- Excellent sales skills and ability to coach and mentor.
- Deep understanding and appreciation for business, analytics and technology.
- Demonstrated strong decision making ability.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and solid platform / facilitation skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and strategic thinking skills to understand and anticipate the impact and opportunities across multiple disciplines to drive units objectives. Develops business case analysis in support of strategic objectives and influences others to take recommended actions.
- Translates vision and strategy into actionable plans.
- Strong collaboration and experience in developing working relationships with senior management and core business functions across the Enterprise.
- Ability to negotiate and resolve conflicts by finding acceptable solutions to business problems.
- Leads innovation and execution of new solutions to market challenges.
- Demonstrates ability to set high performance culture and achieve results at an exceptional level.
- Exhibits a thorough understanding of global insurance trends, industry/ customer based trends and enterprise wide business and financial drivers that affect the region.
- Effectively applies this knowledge in the development of strategy and direction of business activities within the region.
- Manages to organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of enterprise and industry-wide products and services.
- Previous Large Property experience preferred.
- Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions.
Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen:
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Effectively manages all facets of staff performance in order to achieve business objectives.
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
What is a Must Have?
- 7 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
- Supervisory experience required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.