Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$135,200.00 - $223,100.00
What Is the Opportunity?In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics, we deliver tailored analytics and innovative data science solutions that influence decisions and enable superior results. We have an inclusive culture where everyone feels that they belong, can be authentic, are valued, respected, empowered and part of our success. We see strength in the uniqueness that each of us contributes to creating innovative solutions and improving business outcomes.
Travelers Data Scientists are taking the organization to the next level of intelligence by using advanced statistical techniques and machine learning algorithms. As a Director & Data Scientist, you will build complex models that solve key business problems. This may include the use of advanced artificial intelligence techniques to analyze imagery, text, and other unstructured data. You will communicate insights and tell the story using data to senior leaders. This role may manage others.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices. #LIRemote #LIHybrid
What Will You Do?
- Lead business or technical projects focused on the design or development of analytical solutions.
- Share expertise with the community through discussions, presentations, or peer reviews.
- Begin to challenge conventional thinking and set and manage expectations with business partners for large projects, generate and share ideas, and be aware of potential conflicts.
- Anticipate potential objections and persuade senior-level colleagues to adopt a different point of view.
- Communicate analysis, insights, and results to team, peers, business partners, and occasionally to senior leaders. You will lead group discussions and tailor communication to the audience.
- Be a mentor or resource for less experienced analytic talent, onboard new employees and interns, and provide support for recruiting and talent assessment efforts.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives, including delivering training to the analytics community
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Masters in STEM related field or equivalent
- 5 or more years of related experience
- Subject matter expertise in modeling/ research/ analytics or actuarial required
- Subject matter expertise in value creation and business model concepts
- Subject matter expertise in multiple statistical software programs
- Ability to develop highly complex models, interpret model results and recommend adjustments
- Expertise in advanced statistics underlying data models
- Ability to apply emerging statistical procedures to complex work
- Subject matter expertise in 3-5 of the following: Regression, Classification, Machine Vision, Natural Language Processing, Deep Learning and Statistical modeling.
What is a Must Have?
- Master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences, Actuarial Science or related analytical STEM field plus five years of experience or any suitable and equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Heavy concentration in mathematics, including statistics and programming, business intelligence/analytics, as well as data science tools and research using large data sets. Additional verification of specific coursework will be required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.