Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$113,900.00 - $188,000.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers is seeking a Senior Application Security Engineer to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape. As a member of the Claim Risk and Security Application Security Engineering Team you will be in a key position to collaborate closely with software engineering teams, foster a culture of security, assess software security threats, identify software security vulnerabilities, create secure coding guidance, assist remediation efforts, and educate software engineers on secure coding practices.
The Claim Risk and Security Application Security Engineering Team is a group of talented security professionals dedicated to securing the software that supports Travelers' products while empowering engineering teams to keep pace with market demands in a constantly evolving cybersecurity threat landscape. Our outlook is collaborative where team members are encouraged to share ideas with each other, challenge status quos when appropriate, and explore creative solutions to hard security problems. We are a team focused on successful outcomes and place emphasis on continuous learning, transparency, constructive feedback, and adaptability. We want people who are excited about security, providing pragmatic solutions, and continuous improvement.
What Will You Do?
- Perform application security tests, triage software vulnerability issue, assist remediation efforts and educate engineers on secure coding techniques
- Employ an adversarial mindset to lead and participate in threat modeling sessions
- Work with other security engineering, architecture, and DevOps teams to assist in solution delivery
- Measure performance indicators of program activities and effectively communicate status
- Mentor, inspire, and motivate less experienced team members
- Stay abreast of emerging threats, vulnerabilities, and be active in the security community
- Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Desire to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with other teams
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and manage diverse priorities well
- Demonstrated track record of application security engineering expertise
- Five or more years of application security engineering or software development experience
- Certification and deep working knowledge in securely implementing Cloud platform services (AWS, GCP, or Azure)
- Extensive knowledge and experience identifying web application vulnerabilities
- Experience working in an agile software development environment
- Experience developing in common languages, frameworks, and runtimes such as .NET, Java, React, Angular, Python & Node.js
- Strong problem-solving skills including debugging skills, allowing you to determine source of issues in unfamiliar code or systems
- Knowledgeable about security benchmarks, standards, and frameworks (CIS, ISO, NIST, MITRE ATT&CK, OWASP)
- Ability to recognize their own knowledge or experience limitations and reach out for guidance
- Good delivery skills including the ability to participate in team planning, learn to estimate work efforts, assist in the application of relevant security practices and methodologies
- Great communication skills with the ability to articulate thoughts/ideas clearly, collaborate with team members in various roles and document new learnings and solutions for others benefit
- Confident in leading meetings and presenting to teams
- Skilled at contributing and communicating knowledge of concepts to broad audiences
- Understands foundational IT and cloud infrastructure
- Bachelor's degree in STEM related field or equivalent experience
- Motivated to seize opportunities to increase knowledge and expertise
- Track record of identifying and achieving personal growth opportunities
- Industry recognized security certifications
What is a Must Have?
- Three years of system security experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Many opportunities to learn and grow while working with a great team and security organization.
- You will work with a variety of domain experts across the organization in diverse areas such as architecture, cloud computing, and data analytics.
- The opportunity to research new ideas and share your ideas with the community.
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.