Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$98,600.00 - $162,600.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers is seeking a Data Engineer - Cloud Technology to join our Business Insurance Technology Shared Value Stream - Technical Foundation & Operations organization as we grow and transform our technology landscape and move to the AWS cloud. The Cloud Technology Data Engineer may complete end-to-end engineering and development tasks for specific system assignments including designing, developing, analyzing, configuring, testing, debugging, troubleshooting, documenting, health monitoring/alerting and implementation.
The Cloud Technology Data Engineer may consult with users to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications, managing interaction between the systems and other technical support areas and defining technical requirements and coordinating team resources to solve problems.
The key areas of accountability include to the following:
1. Support the build out of new and existing services as well as assist our customers with migrating application to the cloud, leveraging their knowledge of application development.
2. Serve as our primary technical service concierge by providing design consulting and bridging any gap that may exist for our internal customers in leveraging our primary cloud platforms.
3. Assist in designing and engineering solutions and aiding developers to have a strong understanding of our business' cloud strategy and application portfolio.
4. Drive migrations of internal applications within Shared Value Stream portfolio to cloud.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Build and operationalize complex data solutions, correct problems, apply transformations, and recommend data cleansing/quality solutions.
- Design data solutions.
- Analyze sources to determine value and recommend data to include in analytical processes.
- Incorporate core data management competencies including data governance, data security and data quality.
- Collaborate within and across teams to support delivery and educate end users on data products/analytic environment.
- Perform data and system analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of moderate complexity and correct as appropriate.
- Test data movement, transformation code, and data components.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation.
- Four years of data engineering or equivalent experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM related field or equivalent
- Six years of related experience
- Proficient use of tools, techniques, and manipulation including Cloud platforms, programming languages, and an understanding of software engineering practices.
- Practical experience in the deployment of Cloud Technology with a preference on AWS Cloud
- Working knowledge of Jenkins, Git repositories and terraform 12 or higher preferred
- Knowledge of infrastructure as code automation strategies
- Knowledge of Cloud data and platform security concepts with a preference on AWS Cloud
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- The ability to deliver work at a steady, predictable pace to achieve commitments, decompose work assignments into small batch releases, and contribute to tradeoff and negotiation discussions.
- Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to understand technical concepts and possess in-depth knowledge of immediate systems worked on.
- Proven problem solving skills including debugging skills, allowing you to determine source of issues in unfamiliar code or systems and the ability to recognize and solve repetitive problems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact with team members and business partners.
- Leadership - Intermediate leadership skills with a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying personal growth opportunities.
- Strong understanding of foundational IT and Cloud Infrastructure.
- Understanding of Infrastructure as Code and/or Config Management Systems.
- Strong understanding of AWS Cloud
- Familiar with allied cloud platforms such as Databricks and Snowflake
- Familiar with Cloud upgrade and resiliency strategies
- Understanding (preferably hands on experience) of Python and Spark platforms.
- Familiar with Agile methodologies
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.