Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$51,200.00 - $84,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under close supervision and as a participant in a structured training program, actively learns about underwriting philosophy, business unit products and strategies, negotiation, and relationship building. As a trainee, handles renewal business under direct supervision and moves to developing new business as skills advance. As knowledge increases and, under direct supervision, takes on less complex underwriting of individual accounts and eventually a territory. Seeks out opportunities to observe account analysis discussions with other underwriters and underwriting leaders. Takes initiative for their own development. The incumbent in this job does not manage others.
What Will You Do?
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Under direct supervision, underwrites and assesses risk and makes recommendations for less complex accounts in a market segment.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Establishes effective relationships with customers, agents and brokers.
- Develops consultative sales and marketing skills through their interaction with agents/brokers and via coaching from their manager.
- Develops negotiation skills through their interaction with agents/brokers and via coaching from their manager.
Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Develops planning and organization skills necessary to effectively manage desk and assume a territory.
Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Effectively collaborates with others on all aspects of job.
- Understands the need to seek enterprise-wide solutions to business problems.
- Takes initiative for personal development and seeks to learn through underwriting, marketing, and other related opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Entry level position.
- Educational background/ coursework in Business Administration/ Management, Finance/Accounting, Economics, Mathematics/Science, Sales/Marketing/Communications preferred.
- Industry/Business Knowledge:
- Demonstrates an ability, desire, and intellectual curiosity to learn the business.
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions.
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor degree or one year of applicable business experience required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.