Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$51,200.00 - $84,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Bond and Specialty Insurance division of Travelers is seeking to add a new member to our Private & Non-Profit in an Underwriting Development Program role. This is an opportunity to join a dedicated collaborative team of underwriters in a highly visible and challenging role. Our Underwriting Professional Development Program (UPDP) provides participants the opportunity to build a unique and successful career within a highly specialized niche of the insurance industry.
Lawsuits, cyber-attacks, and extortion can impact a company's financial performance and reputation. Private & Non-Profit Liability provides financial protection to directors and officers of private and non-profit companies for these exposures and many more. Products include Directors and Officers Liability, Employment Practices Liability, CyberRisk, Kidnap and Ransom, Crime, and Fiduciary Liability. Underwriters in this fast growing segment work with private companies and non-profit organizations across all industries. Our diverse customer base and product knowledge allows us to add value to our agents.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
- Our comprehensive program consists of a blend of mentorship, classroom instruction, and on-the-job training leading to increasing responsibility and accountability.
- The UPDP prepares you for a career in underwriting, which is a dynamic blend of the following:
- Financial analysis/risk assessment: gather and analyze pertinent information in order to evaluate the acceptability of business risk
- Marketing: build and maintain relationships with agents, brokers, and insured clients to help achieve business goals
- New business development and retention: sell to, negotiate with, and influence agents and brokers to manage a profitable book of business
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Entry level position.
- Gain overall understanding of all Bond and Specialty Insurance Business Units and Travelers businesses.
- Gain an understanding of Bond and Specialty Insurance workflow.
- Learn and develop Product knowledge.
- Learn documentation procedures/standards
- Ability to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; does not assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor degree or one year of relevant business experience required.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.