Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$52,600.00 - $86,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?This position is responsible for investigating, evaluating, reserving, negotiating and resolving assigned Subrogation claims. Conducts, validates and/or directs front line investigations, determines liability, confirms subrogation potential and maximizes recoveries by negotiating and settling subrogation claims. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, investigation, evidence preservation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation, litigation management and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. Serves as a contact and technical resource to the field and our business partners.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility. #LI-Hybrid
What Will You Do?
- Investigates each claim to obtain relevant facts necessary to evaluate recovery potential, identify the cause of loss, identify responsible party targets and their carriers, and develops theories of liability, through prompt and strategically-appropriate contact with appropriate parties (e.g. policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies, witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts); obtains necessary statements as strategically appropriate; adhering to Claim Best Practices and Special Account Communication instructions.
- Delivers consistent service quality and effective diary management to ensure all claims are handled timely throughout the claim life cycle to achieve optimal outcome.
- Directs the preservation of evidence; hires experts and identifies resources for specific activities to properly investigate, such as Risk Control, nurse consultants, fire or fraud investigators, and other experts. Verifies the nature and extent of the loss.
- Keeps effective diary management system to ensure that all claims are handled timely. At required time intervals, evaluates liability to assess Subrogation potential including consideration of jurisdictional statutes, case law and bodily injury value, where applicable. Updates as new information is presented.
- Develops and employs creative resolution strategies.
- Negotiates subrogation recoveries with responsible party, their carriers and other legal representatives/attorneys.
- Recognizes and implements alternate means of resolution including arbitration, while controlling expenses.
- Develops litigation plan with staff or panel counsel, including discovery and legal expenses, to assure effective resolution and to satisfy customers.
- Applies litigation management through the selection of counsel, evaluation and direction of claim and litigation strategy. Tracks and controls legal expenses to assure cost-effective resolution.
- Manages both allocated and unallocated loss adjustment expenses.
- Updates appropriate party as needed, providing new facts as they become available, and their impact upon the liability analysis and settlement options.
- Attends and/or presents at roundtables/ authority discussions for collaboration of technical expertise resulting in optimal resolution.
- Recognizes cases, based on severity/ complexity protocols that should be transferred to another level of subrogation professional and refers on a timely basis.
- Represents the company as a technical resource, may at times attend legal proceedings as needed, act within established professional guidelines as well as applicable state laws.
- Provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced subrogation professionals / trainees.
- Shares accountability with all business partners to achieve and sustain quality results.
- Determines settlement value by assessing extent of liability of the responsible party, determining legally recoverable damages.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelors Degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years subrogation claim handling experience preferred.
- Experience utilizing computer technology; such as Microsoft Office, Email, Web-enabled applications and database software preferred.
- Analytical Thinking Skills - Intermediate
- Judgment/Decision Making Skills - Intermediate
- Communication Skills - Intermediate
- Negotiation Skills preferred- Intermediate
- Insurance Contract Knowledge - Intermediate
- Principles of Investigation - Intermediate
- Value Determination - Intermediate
- Settlement Techniques - Intermediate
- Legal Knowledge - Basic
- Organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and work Independently - Intermediate
- Solid typing skills to enter and search for data - Basic
- General ability to negotiate and solve customer inquiries or complaints - Intermediate
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED.
- A minimum of one year subrogation claim handling experience or successful completion of Travelers Subrogation Training Program required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.