Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$126,100.00 - $208,000.00
What Is the Opportunity?The Travelers Data Engineering team constructs pipelines that contextualize and provide easy access to data by the entire enterprise. As a Senior Data Engineer you will accelerate growth and transformation of our analytics landscape. You will bring a strong desire to guide team members' growth and develop data solutions that translate complex data into user-friendly terminology. You will leverage your ability to design, build and deploy data solutions that capture, explore, transform, and utilize data to support Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and business intelligence/insights.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Build and operationalize complex data solutions, correct problems, apply transformations, and recommending data cleansing/quality solutions.
- Design complex data solutions, including incorporating new data sources and ensuring designs are consistent across projects and aligned to data strategies.
- Perform analysis of complex sources to determine value and use and recommend data to include in analytical processes.
- Incorporate core data management competencies including data governance, data security and data quality.
- Act as a data and technology subject matter expert within lines of business to support delivery and educate end users on data products/analytic environment.
- Perform data and system analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of high complexity and correct as appropriate.
- Collaborate across team to support delivery and educate end users on complex data products/analytic environment.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation.
- Five years of data engineering or equivalent experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM related field or equivalent
- Ten years of related experience
- Advanced knowledge of tools, techniques, and manipulation including cloud platforms, programming languages, and modern software engineering practices.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Strong delivery skills including the ability to determine the software design strategy and methodology to be used for efforts, use automated tests, analysis, and informed feedback loops to ensure the quality and production readiness of work before release, monitor the health of work efforts and that of adjacent systems.
- Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to develop business partnerships and influence priorities by identifying solutions that are aligned with current business objective and closely follow industry trends relevant to domain, understanding how to apply them, and sharing knowledge with coworkers.
- Strong problem solver who utilizes data and proofs of concepts to find creative solutions to difficult problems involving a significant number of factors with broad implications, reflects on solutions, measures impact, and uses that information to ideate and optimize.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to develop business partnerships, describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document initiatives in a concise and clear manner, and empathetically and attentively listen to others thoughts and ideas.
- Ability to lead and take action even when there is no clear owner, inspire and motivate others, and be effective at influencing team members.
- Knowledge and experience with the some of the following concepts: Real-time & Batch Data Processing, Workload Orchestration, Cloud, Datalakes, Data Security, Networking, Serverless, Testing / Test Automation (Unit, Integration, Performance, etc.), WebServices, DevOps, Logging, Monitoring, and Alerting, Containerization, Encryption / Decryption, Data Masking, Cost & Performance Optimization
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.