Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$74,500.00 - $122,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers is seeking an Associate Software Engineer to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape. Individual will work as part of a team to complete basic end to end software engineering tasks.
What Will You Do?
- Perform basic analysis, development, testing, debugging, configuration, incident investigation, documentation, health monitoring/alerting, and implementing based on and related to user or system design specifications.
- Work within guidelines set by team to independently tackle well-scoped problems.
- Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Support Business Rules Management (BRM) applications development and business rules development that consists of Derivations, Underwriting and Product Rules domains. Playing a role delivering technical support/programming for java-based applications within BRM application suite.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Two years of Java programming/development experience preferred.
- Experience working in an Agile team.
- Understanding of CI/CD process including GitHub and Jenkins/Cloudbees.
- Knowledge and some experience of IBM Operational Decision Management is a plus.
- Delivery - Developing delivery skills including the ability to participate in team planning, learn to estimate work efforts, assist in the application of designated software design strategy and methodology, test work following relevant examples including automation, take ownership of work after release, quickly addressing issues as they arise and collect and incorporate feedback throughout the process.
- Domain Expertise - Emerging domain expertise including the ability to learn from research, others and through asking thoughtful questions, open to seizing opportunities to increase knowledge.
- Problem Solving - Standard problem solving skills including the ability to debug familiar code or systems easily, recognize when own knowledge or experience is lacking and reach out for guidance and approach each new task as an opportunity to learn, continually applying prior learnings to new challenges.
- Communication - Good communication skills with the ability to articulate thoughts/ideas clearly, collaborate with team members in various roles and document new learnings and solutions for others benefit.
- Leadership - Emerging leadership potential including the ability to accept direction and guidance while learning what traits are valuable in a leader, be transparent about what you do not understand and need help with, and communicate this to the appropriate parties, and receive feedback with an eye towards improving.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.