Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$144,800.00 - $238,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers Business Insurance (BI) Information Management & Analytics (IM&A) is seeking an AVP, Circle Lead / Team of Teams Lead to drive the execution of business strategies in an agile fashion for our Modernization Circle within the BCO Data Value Stream. This critical leader will be responsible for our transformation to our new data ecosystem in Business Insurance and ensuring connectivity with our Products, workflow investments and analytic needs. In this highly visible position, you will be responsible for managing our portfolio of work from raw data ingestion, domain mapping through consumption, and helping to deliver new capabilities impacting all of BI and sunsetting the old. You will apply strong business acumen and leadership in partnership with technology counterparts to enable teams to achieve their goals, partner with senior leadership to drive end-user value while delivering results in service to business strategy. You will drive towards innovative solutions, while making trade-off decisions related to funding and resource allocation.
What Will You Do?
- Lead, define, communicate and champion a large and complex body of work spanning multiple agile teams (i. e. Team of Teams) working toward common business outcomes typically impacting the entire line of business.
- At this level, you generally lead:
- 5 - 15 teams (100 - 150 total people)
- Multiple complex business units or product lines/assets
- Extensive interdependencies
- Heightened delivery risk
- Emerging technologies
- Partner with Technology Circle Lead to manage and provide input to define multi-team vision and strategy, including the business architecture and roadmap for achieving the strategy, vision and business outcomes; articulate the Circle / Team of Teams vision and strategy effectively to teams and executive-level stakeholders.
- Effectively drive, manage, implement and track one or more complex portfolios of deliverables and capabilities as well as 'test and learn'/experimentation targeted at defining/refining future deliverables, measuring performance and adjusting the overall roadmap of deliverables as needed.
- Prioritize interdependent team backlogs addressing risks and dependencies (often spanning multiple Circle and Lines of Businesses) to defined outcomes and ensuring overall alignment with business strategy; make trade-off decisions to balance quality, cost, and timelines to maximize value in context of circle and value stream objectives.
- Identify innovative solutions both internally and in the external marketplace; ensure competitive and industry benchmarking of critical capabilities.
- Oversee and make data driven decisions related to funding and resource allocation, and prioritization of work; make trade-off decisions to balance quality, cost, and timelines to maximize value.
- Lead positive team dynamics, encourage collaboration and drive appropriate levels of self-organization; Assess, utilize, and partner with external resources and partners to meet agreed upon expectations, as needed.
- Manage multi-team dynamics; remove impediments to teams' success and assist in conflict resolution, issue and dependency management.
- Build and foster collaborative relationships across other Circles, business areas and with key partners, with the ability to influence executive-level leadership.
- Share best practices with peers across the value stream to ensure alignment and consistency in ways of working.
- Help grow agile maturity within and across teams.
- People-management responsibilities for team members and may manage other Circle Leads.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Six years of experience in an agile/execution leadership role delivering business solutions on a demanding schedule preferred.
- Five years of people leadership /management experience preferred.
- Strong business acumen and a deep strategic mindset preferred.
- Proven analytical skills and experience making decisions based on hard and soft data preferred.
- Deep knowledge of the line of Business with the ability to develop and leverage business and/or vendor partnerships, consult on business priorities, and optimize value through solution identification aligned with business objectives preferred.
- Experience with Data Modernization efforts and cloud environments
- Agile Mindset: Embody Agile core values of openness, courage, respect, focus, and commitment. Infuse Agile principles, practices and methodologies to achieve team success.
- Product Mindset: Focus on defining a product value proposition that aligns with and supports the circle/value stream objectives and which is the north star for the Circle.
- Change Agent: Expert change leadership skills including the ability to create an inclusive environment, manage conflict and develop solutions to mitigate risk.
- Influence: Ability to influence behaviors of leaders at all levels and without traditional hierarchy.
- Servant Leadership: Foster an environment where individuals thrive as empowered and equal members of a team.
- Communication: Ability to communicate thoughts, concepts, practices effectively at all levels, adjusting as needed to a target audience.
- Collaboration: Expertise working with others in a cross-functional multi-team environment.
- Continuous Improvement: Demonstrate a commitment to continually improve, share learning with others and encourage team development.
What is a Must Have?
- Seven years of relevant business experience required.
- Four years of people leadership/ management experience required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.