Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The hourly salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual hourly rate for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$22.00 - $23.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers has built a solid reputation as a leading insurance company and employs some of the most talented, passionate people in the industry and provides endless opportunities for those willing to reach for them. With over 105 years of experience in property risk control and safety management, plus leading industrial hygiene, fire and forensics laboratories, Travelers Risk Control has the expertise to provide customers with recommendations to help control hazards and reduce risks of property damage or injury. If you're driven and passionate about what you do and work each day to make an impact, you might be interested in an opportunity with Travelers.
What Will You Do?
- Under direct supervision, the main responsibility of this internship opportunity is to develop risk control and general insurance industry knowledge, and to assist in providing risk control support to home office leadership, commercial or construction field consultants, or staff within our specialist disciplines (property, casualty services, forensics / industrial hygiene lab). This 10-12 week, paid position is based in Charlotte, NC.
- Internship responsibilities and activities involve working within a team environment and may focus on any of the following:
- As an active member of the team, assisting in:
- preparing, conducting, and completing risk evaluations of client locations
- determining the potential hazards and risk factors to be considered in risk selection
- identifying uncontrolled hazards and making appropriate recommendations
- consulting with clients on ways to control hazards to help them reduce, mitigate, or prevent loss
- Researching and apply technical information to support current risk control service efforts
- Attending co-surveys with experienced Risk Control staff to learn and develop consulting skills
- Collaborating with Underwriting, Claim, Clients, BI Business Partners and other Risk Control staff
- Completing one Capstone project and presentation to senior management on a relevant Risk Control topic
- Ensuring timely completion of assignments
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- The candidate should demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and presentation abilities
- Strong self-awareness, interpersonal skills and relationship-building abilities
- Effective organizational skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Propensity and desire to learn rapidly and adapt quickly to change
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software
- Available to work 40 hours per week for the duration of the internship
What is a Must Have?
- GPA of 3.0 or higher in a relevant degree program: Environmental Health and Safety, Occupational Health, Allied Health, Fire Protection Engineering, Kinesiology, Construction Safety, Construction Management, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Computer and Digital Forensics, Civil or Industrial Engineering, Science or Business. Social Science and Humanities students with interest and aptitude will also be considered.
- Must be registered as a returning student and have completed related work studies
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.