Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$110,200.00 - $181,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under general direction, responsible for the ownership of the Property Technical Discipline in Assigned Territory, which includes: Conducting quality Risk Assessments, assisting customers with Loss Control, providing consultation to Staff and Business Partners, and helping identify needs for Technical Training of Regional Specialist Consultants (RSCs), and Staff in assigned territory. This job serves as a technical resource to Risk Control Consultants and Underwriters and as a mentor to others. As a Senior Risk Control Specialist, has the ability to handle the most complex assignments based on technical complexity, customer service expectations, high challenge, high visibility, etc. Exhibits exceptional technical skills as well as above average interpersonal skills, training ability, etc. Ability to handle some duties of the Technical Director (e.g. job assignment responsibilities in the Director's absence, meeting attendance.) This position influences but does not manage others.
What Will You Do?
- Conducts specialist Risk Assessment surveys at complex applicant or written client locations to determine potential hazards/risk factors and controls at the request of customers or to assist in underwriting/risk selection.
- Documents findings and recommendations to Account Executives and/or clients.
- Consults with clients on ways to control hazards in order to reduce or mitigate losses. Exhibits the ability to come up with technically correct yet flexible solutions to meet Travelers as well as the Client's needs. Influences clients to implement recommendations.
- Serves as a technical expert resource to Risk Control Consultants and Underwriters.
- Builds and maintains productive relationships with underwriting and service teams assigned to business units, with the broker/agent community, with Claim, with other Risk Control staff, and with clients.
- May conduct research for underwriters or clients on class of business, operations, or any other technical subject requiring similar analysis.
- Maintains current knowledge of regulatory environment and emerging issues in the technical specialist discipline.
- Function as an Account Consultant for certain National Property accounts.
- Maintains timely, relevant communications with Technical Director, Field Management and Risk Control staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- 8 or more years of Property/ Highly Protected Risk (HPR) skills and experience preferred.
- Exceptional technical and interpersonal skills preferred.
- Technical training experience preferred.
- Makes complex technical information and recommendations understandable and clear to audiences with varied levels of technical knowledge.
- Influences others to take action on recommendations.
- Listens effectively.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Business Knowledge:
- Understands insurance products, services, and risk selection practices.
- Fully understands Risk Control performance standards, policies and procedures.
- Technical Expertise:
- Demonstrated expertise / command in technical specialist discipline.
- Has working knowledge of relevant Risk Control computer systems applications.
- Customer Service:
- Balances customer expectations and expense constraints.
- Builds credibility with internal and external customers.
- Creates customer satisfaction by demonstrating the value of risk control services.
- Resource Management:
- Continually assesses workload in light of business priorities; directs own efforts accordingly.
- Identifies methods for improving personal productivity.
- Makes sound judgments about appropriate service levels for customers.
What is a Must Have?
- Degree in Fire Sciences or an engineering discipline required.
- 5 years' experience in Property Loss Prevention/Risk Control required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.