Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$81,400.00 - $134,200.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under general supervision, this position is responsible for handling first party property claims including: investigating, evaluating, estimating, and negotiating to ensure optimal claim resolution for personal or business claims of high severity and complexity. Handles high complexity claims ranging in exposures of $150,000 to $250,000. Claim frequency and MCU capacity could necessitate handling losses greater than $250,000 as business needs require for a given period of time. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. Provides consulting and training resources and serves as a contact and technical resource to the field and our business partners. This position is based 100% remotely and may include a combination of mobile work, travel across states within claim center footprint and/or work from your primary residence.
What Will You Do?
- Handles 1st party property claims of high severity and complexity up to Major Case handling threshold as assigned.
- Completes field inspection of losses including accurate scope of damages, photographs, written estimates and/or computer assisted estimates.
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Identify areas in which we can improve/enhance current business practices and offer creative solutions.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine coverage damages and liability of first-party property damage claims (including but not limited to analyzing leases, contracts, by-laws, and other relevant documents which may have an impact), damages, business interruption calculations and liability of first-party property claims under a variety of policies. Secures recorded or written statements as appropriate.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate, estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits and deductibles and work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Identify and engage the appropriate stakeholders and business partners as needed based on the circumstances of the claim.
- Technical claim liaison for business partners and large/sensitive accounts.
- Negotiates with multiple constituents, i.e.; contractors or insured's representatives and conveys claim settlements within authority limits.
- Handles high severity/complexity appraisal.
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights, and other complex correspondence.
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations in accordance with the Knowledge Guides.
- Applies advanced level of resolution strategies which includes appropriate internal/external resources to assist in the investigation and evaluation of the claim.
- Maintains diary system, capturing all required data and documents claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agents and all other internal and external customers/business partners.
- Determines when to refer claims to Travelers Investigative Services and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Identifies and refers claims with Major Case Unit exposure to the manager.
- Partners with Major Case Unit on large losses to ensure consistent claim handling within jurisdictions and across Units.
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Complete Major Case Unit Development Program and accept Major Case Unit mentoring to enhance next level skillset.
- Works closely with leadership and OPFT team to lead technical development strategies.
- Serves as a resource for Technical Specialist Development participants by leading trainings and mentorships. Participates in field ride alongs with Technical Specialists to support development.
- Actively provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced claim professionals.
- May attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials, trials, and all other legal proceedings, as needed. Obtains experts as needed and assists the Litigation Claim Unit.
- CAT Duty ~ This position will require participation in our Catastrophe Response Program, which could include deployment away for a minimum of 16 days (includes 2 travel days) to assist our customers in other states.
- Serve as first responder for significant local CAT events and provide claim handling support to other offices as needed.
- Must secure and maintain company credit card required.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- This position requires the individual to access and inspect all areas of a dwelling or structure, which is physically demanding requiring the ability to carry, set up and climb a ladder weighing approximately 38 to 49 pounds, walk on roofs, and enter tight spaces (such as attic staircases and entries, crawl spaces, etc.). While specific territory or day-to-day responsibilities may not require an individual to climb a ladder, the incumbent must be capable of safely climbing a ladder when deploying to a catastrophe which is a requirement of the position.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of estimating system Xactimate required.
- Advanced Customer Service experience - required.
- Experience in Mid-Los/Technical Specialist claim handling
- Interpersonal and customer service skills- Advanced
- Organizational and time management skills - Expert
- Ability to work independently - Advanced
- Judgment, analytical and decision making skills -Expert
- Negotiation skills - Advanced
- Written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to convey and receive information effectively - Advanced
- Investigative skills - Advanced
- Ability to analyze and determine coverage - Expert
- Analyze, and evaluate damages - Expert
- Resolve claims within settlement authority - Expert
- Valid passport preferred.
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of four years of Personal Insurance or Business Insurance Property claim handling experience required.
- Valid driver's license required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.