Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$100,400.00 - $165,700.00
What Is the Opportunity?The Travelers Catastrophe Risk Management Group is seeking a Manager to join our Actuarial and Analytics team. You will be joining a group of dedicated professionals charged with leading Travelers to be in a position to successfully endure catastrophic loss from natural and man-made perils.
The Actuarial and Analytics team is responsible for providing governance and perspective on decisions related to CAT peril pricing across the Enterprise. The Actuarial and Analytics team uses a variety of tools including 3rd party CAT models, loss experience, industry data, and advanced analytics techniques (including Multi-Variate Analysis). The Actuarial and Analytics team is looking for a motivated individual to help us achieve these goals within the team, including leading various projects, running workstreams (i.e., Business Plan, View of Risk by Peril, Ratemaking exercises), and providing analytical insights and recommendations to Leadership and Business partners.
Background in advanced analytics and ratemaking a plus. A background with CAT modeling would be a plus, but not required. The position requires an individual who can succeed in a collaborative, innovation-driven environment, in tune with business needs and deadlines.
Primary Responsibilities may include:
- Establish and update peril views of risk
- Build CAT peril pricing for next gen by-peril products
- Create and refine business unit benchmark pricing tools incorporating multivariate GLM analyses
- Evaluate vendor CAT model changes and assess materiality to currently filed products
- Participate in other CAT advanced analytic projects
- Refine CAT loss experience trending methodologies to incorporate pertinent environmental factors
- Create Enterprise and business unit regional risk/reward analyses and pro forma profitability studies
- Enhance and facilitate CAT business planning across the Enterprise
- Provide CAT perspective during the annual ROE model update
- Communicate findings and recommendations to team, peers, business partners, and senior leadership
What Will You Do?
- Participate in a lead role in the successful execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Develop solutions to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Propose change and innovation in order to improve project team performance and timelines.
- This position will often participate on cross-unit initiatives and may participate on Enterprise initiatives.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Support and drive components of unit initiatives. Begin to support broad department initiatives.
- Take accountability for process efficiencies within assignments.
- Begin to make proposals in accordance with department practices.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates analysis, project results, and other business initiatives to peers and business partners.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audience within the primary working group with guidance from manager.
- Actively participates and may lead group discussions at the unit level.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or presentations with guidance and peer review.
- Networks and collaborates on ideas and challenges.
- Retention and development of assigned staff.
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals.
- Talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
- 4+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects.
- Take ownership of assigned projects and meetings, make recommendations and presents results to business partners.
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including mentoring/training team members.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively supporting business goals and being a positive member of the Enterprise culture.
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of a few basic business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products, reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim, and financials.
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in developing analytic solutions.
- Has a foundational perspective of the primary industry and developing trends such as: technology, analytic methodology, products and performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with a couple other key business drivers and disciplines.
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships across the BI&AA community across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and begin to build consensus with guidance.
- Aware of potential conflict and begins to addresses with guidance.
- Begin to set and manage expectations with business partners for small projects.
- Evaluate and use appropriate data, tools and methods.
- Able to perform analytics independently, can effectively plan next steps within analyses with little oversight.
- May perform technical review of team work product.
- Able to contribute on more complex analytical work with guidance.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 2 years of experience in quantitative analysis required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.