Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$118,900.00 - $196,200.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers is seeking a Director level manager to lead the Enterprise Monitoring software engineering discipline as we look to continue our focus on modernization and simplification. The individual will provide thought leadership and technical expertise for software engineering tasks and assignements that span many parts of a system including designing, developing, analyzing, configuring, testing, debugging, troubleshooting, documenting, health monitoring/alerting, and implementing based on user or system specifications. The individual will also consult with stakeholers to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications, manage the effective use of resources, act as subject matter expert across multiple applications, systems and technologies, leverage technical and business knowledge to drive the planning and execution of complex initiatives, participate in the design/ development process, and provide technical leadership, while leading a team of Software Engineers.
What Will You Do?
- Responsible for limited direct technical contributions and supervising and supporting managers of SWE teams.
- Responsible for leading the delivery and execution of solutions to challenging software engineering and platform engineering problems.
- Plans and directs all aspects of the organization, including.
- Financial/budgetary oversight for team and set of responsibilities.
- May participate in the execution and delivery of team products and services.
- Responsible for fulfilling IT audits for respective technologies. Ensures team compliance with IT standards, policies, and governance.
- Facilitates the coordination of resolution of complex topics. May interact with vendors and handle escalations.
- Responsible for communicating status, strategic direction, and results of assigned work.
- Provides human resources management, including coaching, performance management, team development and growth, and workforce planning.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience.
- Five years of programming/development experience.
- Two years of experience leading a Software Engineering Team
- Demonstrated experience implementing current technology trends and techniques (e.g., cloud-based solutions leveraging microservices).
- Interprets internal/ external business challenges and recommends best practices to improve SDLC processes.
- Experience with Python, Go, Django, Microservices, and AWS desired.
- Experience leading design walkthroughs, code reviews and paired programming desired.
- Delivery - Delivery skills including the ability to determine the software design strategy and methodology to be used for efforts, use automated tests, analysis, and informed feedback loops to ensure the quality and production readiness of work before release, monitor the health of work efforts and that of adjacent systems.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to develop business partnerships and influence priorities by identifying solutions that are aligned with current business objective and closely follow industry trends relevant to domain, understanding how to apply them, and sharing knowledge with coworkers.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who utilizes data and proofs of concepts to find creative solutions to difficult problems, reflects on solutions, measuring their impact, and uses that information to ideate and optimize. Also adept at making decisions that involve a significant number of factors with broad implications.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to describe technology concepts in ways lss technical stakeholders can understand, document initiatives in a concise and clear manner, collaborate effectively with teammates and others regardless of role, give and receive constructive feedback, offer help when asked, and ensure everyone has a chance to share their thoughts and are heard.
- Leadership - Leadership skills with the ability to take action even when there is no clear owner, inspire and motivate others, and be effective at influencing team members.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.