Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$118,600.00 - $195,600.00
What Is the Opportunity?The Counsel role is responsible for providing a range of cost-effective, high quality legal services while representing Travelers. The Counsel position handles moderately complex legal matters, requiring an established degree of knowledge and expertise.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility. #LI-Hybrid.
What Will You Do?
Corporate Governance - Advise on matters relating to corporate governance, including the following:
Developments, trends and practices in corporate governance
Development and interpretation of corporate policies and procedures related to corporate governance
Compliance with regulations applicable to executive compensation and disclosure
Implementation of insider trading policy procedures
Assessment and reporting of directors' independence, expertise, and qualifications
Compliance with New York Stock Exchange governance and other listing standards
SEC Reporting - Assist with SEC compliance and disclosure matters, including proxy statement and Section 16 filings. Analyze new disclosure rules and advise on implementation.
Board Operations - Assist in managing board operations and coordinate matters relating to board of directors and committee meetings, including preparation of meeting materials, board resolutions and minutes.
Shareholder Meeting - Assist in preparation for annual meeting of shareholders, including preparation of proxy statement and meeting planning.
Subsidiary Management - Provide legal counsel relating to subsidiary management, including entity formations, transactions and dissolutions and oversight of annual report and other filings for subsidiary companies.
Special Projects/Other - Perform other projects and duties as assigned, including assisting with due diligence on strategic and other transactions and advice and assistance on other projects involving legal issues.
This role acts as an individual contributor.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Prior legal experience in corporate and securities law with major law firm or corporation.
- Minimum of 5 years of prior legal experience preferred.
- Possess ability to effectively communicate with and advise the company's senior management and directors.
What is a Must Have?
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent International legal degree; graduate of an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 3 years of prior legal experience.
- Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.