Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$130,600.00 - $215,400.00
What Is the Opportunity?As a Sr. Architect, you will help lead the effort to create the technology target state for the Shared Platforms Unit of a global, Dow 30 company. As a direct report to a member of the Enterprise Architecture and Emerging Technology leadership team, you will interface directly with senior technology leaders to transform our current business and technology capabilities and pave the way for best-in-class solutions. You will be a dedicated partner to senior Technology and Business leaders as you define a target state, roadmaps and identify new and emerging technologies that will transform and optimize the business. As an organizational leader, you will humbly serve and inspire a team of high-performing Architects who you will coach, mentor, and empower. As a successful candidate, you are a visionary leader with a track record of building high-quality enterprise solutions. You are results-driven and bring strong Architecture and engineering skills and a deep understanding of modern technologies including Cloud-native, APIs, AI, and ML. You are a person of high integrity, who believes in challenging the status quo when needed, while always first seeking to understand. You play a key role in the development and implementation of technology solutions specifically focused on Cloud solutions. You are a senior team member responsible for turning application patterns in fully automated application accelerators, the associated pipelines and Infrastructure as Code solutions and building application accelerators. You are fiercely focused on streamlining the jobs of engineers and removing friction in their world related to application development and environment setup. You will work within a community of architecture leaders, charged with establishing and evolving a unified architecture vision.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Architecture responsibility within a major segment of Technology Architecture in support of the Shared Platforms business unit
- Works with the Senior leadership within Technology and Business to develop architecture priorities and direction to enable business imperatives
- Displays strong thought leadership in pursuit of modern architecture principals and technology modernization
- Drives continuous technology transformation to minimize technical debt
- Create a partnership with Senior Software Engineering
- Looks for opportunities to capitalize on technology advances through analysis of key industry and technology trends to assess potential impact on the enterprise
- Defines and leads technology proof of concepts to ensure feasibility of architecture solutions
- Hands-on prototyping of new technology solutions
- Partner with Software Engineering to execute proof of technologies
- Defines target state technology architecture and roadmaps
- Ensures alignment of IT initiatives with the target state
- Builds strong partnership with engineering to ensure proper alignment of skills with technology direction
- Prepares and delivers comprehensive communications to convey architectural direction and how it aligns with enterprise strategy
- Optimizes talent strategy to ensure proper mix of resources and attracts and recruits best talent
- Continuously improve efficiency and effectiveness of the architecture
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Six years of experience in enterprise, application, and/or information architecture within a line of business or enterprise area
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's in technology related field or equivalent with 5+ years of technology Architecture experience
- Provided mentorship to architects
- Organizational and transformational experience in an agile operating model
- Establishes strategic technology direction and architecture vision for an organization
- Strong proven Software Engineering experience
- Developed technology target state, roadmaps that aligned to Short- and Long-term business goals
- Proven track record of influencing senior leadership
- Insurance technology experience
- Strong grasp of value creation and business capability models
- Innovation and Continuous Improvement
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Must be passionate about technology transformations
- Has hands on experience in the last 3 years
- Executed technology modernization initiatives including migration to cloud native and API Strategy
- Current deep experience with AWS, APIs, accelerators, DevSecOps
- Cloud Architecture Certification (AWS, GCP, or Azure) or strong architecture experience on Cloud
- Good understanding of security
- Experienced with large scale technology platforms
- Ability to deliver long-term, repeatable IaC solutions that incorporate directly into an automated process
- Extensive experience in development, automation, and monitoring tools and practices (Terraform/Cloud Formations/Github Actions)
- Solid understanding of current and emerging application architecture concepts such as REST, Event-Driven architecture, Microservices, and Serverless
- Experience with cloud native technologies (AWS - Lambda, EKS, ECS, EC2, S3, DynamoDB, RDS), platform as a service (Kubernetes, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Open Cloud Foundry)
- Experience with modern application security, authentication, and authorization patterns and practices
- Experience and ability to work with automated deployment pipeline technologies such as Jenkins, CodeDeploy, CircleCI, UCD is preferred.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.