Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$66,900.00 - $110,400.00
What Is the Opportunity?Innovative thinking, creative problem-solving, and a determination to challenge the status-quo. These are some of the defining qualities for participants of our Actuarial Leadership Development Program (ALDP). This five-year rotational program is designed to grow and develop your actuarial and self-leadership skills. Each rotation will consist of a combination of hands-on experience, access to a robust actuarial training curriculum, exam study support and a formal mentoring program to prepare you for a dynamic career. You will have the opportunity to explore multiple functions of the business while learning from different leaders within Travelers.
As an Actuarial LDP consultant, you will model the way for others and set a personal example of what is expected. You will be expected to positively challenge processes and identify new and innovative ways to get work done more effectively and efficiently. You will be expected to take initiative, embrace change, actively listen to and support diverse points of view and celebrate the success of others.
If this is more than you imagined in a career in insurance, we encourage you to join us at Travelers. Graduates of the program will be prepared to handle a variety of actuarial roles with increasing leadership opportunities to meet evolving business needs.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
The program is multi-faceted and offers a combination of actuarial and business development as key partners in determining risks and rewards for the company. Other program components include exam support, training, formal mentoring, networking with dedicated career guidance throughout the time in program. To help prepare for these roles, the ALDP provides participants with challenging rotational assignments in varied core actuarial and analytic functions across the Travelers organization which may include:
- Pricing and Ratemaking
- Risk Analysis
- Product Management
- Data Science
- Recommend and execute solutions for assigned project sub-components to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Execute work thoughtfully and efficiently as a team member to improve project team performance and timelines.
- May participate on strategic projects with execution responsibility for assigned project sub-components.
- May participate on cross-unit initiatives.
- Refresh basic actuarial and analytic analyses with supervision.
- Support unit initiatives.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- May identify and create process efficiencies within assignments.
- Communicate progress, findings and results to manager and key partners.
- Communicate technical topics and findings to primary working group.
- Understand actuarial, analytical and financial discussions and participate in the conversation during meetings.
- Provide formal written communication such as memos or presentations with supervision and support.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across rotational assignment.
- May be a mentor, manager or resource for less experienced analytic talent within rotation assignment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Completion of 1 or more Actuarial exams.
- Accountability: Strong track record of taking ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and results.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking: Demonstrated aptitude in identifying current or future problems or opportunities, analyzing data, synthesizing and comparing information to understand issues, identifying cause/effect relationships and exploring alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience: Ability to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Customer Focus: Proven customer service skills with the ability to provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrated track record of self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal: Excellent communication skills with the ability to actively engage with others while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Capability of exercising sound judgment, making decisions and committing to a position.
- Learning agility: Demonstrates an aptitude for learning and applying new capabilities in actuarial and analytics.
- Leveraging Differences: Proven capacity to works with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and view those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Strong relationship management skills including the ability to seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Technical curiosity: Self-starter and motivated to explore new technologies, applications and environments beyond required job and/or educational commitments.
- Work Ethic: Possession of a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done; inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Finance, Actuarial Science, Computer Science or business-related required.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States now and in the future.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.