Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$63,400.00 - $104,700.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under general supervision, responsible for the profitability, growth and retention of assigned book of business within an assigned territory that is consistent with overall Bond and Specialty Insurance/BU strategy and objectives. Primary responsibilities include: Underwriting new and renewal business Building and maintaining productive relationships with agents and brokers Consistently achieving budgeted financial results Collaborating with BU and region colleagues as well as internal/external business associates Sales and marketing Facilitation of underwriting workflow, process and operations. This job does not manage others.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
Underwriting & Pricing:
- Underwrites and assesses risk for routine, small to mid-size, renewals and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies. Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority.
- Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency plant, working with more experienced underwriters if outside authority.
- Is able to determine if an account is within or outside underwriting appetite/strategy.
- Makes recommendations to underwriter 2, as appropriate.
- Inputs financials and is able to calculate key ratios and draw conclusions about the general financial health of an account.
- Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office underwriters.
- Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information.
- Meets quality assurance standards.
- Manages flow of new and renewal business.
- May be involved in complex non-premium bearing activities (e.g. renewal solicitation; troubleshooting billing/accounting issues, collections); is the resident go-to person for underwriting systems and process questions.
- May process renewal transactions.
- Handles day-to-day business requests from agents.
- May participate in agency training sessions.
- Primary agency relationship is CSR.
- Sales Management/Marketing:
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities via the renewal or submission process or by expanding existing relationships; may prospect for new relationships.
- Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker sales goals.
- Develops relationships with key broker and agency staff.
- Executes on agency plant sales plan; may co-develop plan.
- Participates in Region and/or Business Unit sales meetings.
- May partner with colleagues in other Bond and Specialty Insurance or Travelers BUs to cross sell all Travelers products.
- Is able to utilize analytics and tools to assist in the sale and pricing (if applicable) of accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has a minimum of 6 months to 3 years of experience.
- Demonstrates a fundamental understanding of the local marketplace.
- Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn about Travelers and BU critical business issues and financial drivers.
- Working knowledge of BU products/coverages and pricing and the linkages to strategy.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work.
- Able to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Negotiates skillfully in routine situations.
- Gains the trust of others quickly.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; does not assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor degree or one year of relevant business experience required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.