Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$101,800.00 - $168,000.00
What Is the Opportunity?The Employee Services Unit (ESU) is a global HR Shared Services center that handles HR questions and administration across multiple centers of excellence: Benefits, Contact Center, Leave of Absence, Learning, Payroll, Staffing, Talent Management, Work Arrangement, and Workforce Data Management supporting US, Canada, UK, Ireland, and Australia. The Director, of Payroll, provides direction and leadership for the unit that processes the US, Canada, UK, IRE, and AUS payrolls ensuring all paychecks comply with federal, state, local, provincial and international tax regulations and that they are processed in a timely and accurate manner. This job is a manager.
Travelers offer a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility. #LI-Hybrid
What Will You Do?
- Responsible for biweekly payroll: US (all 50 states), Canada all provinces), Monthly payroll: US pension, UK), IRE, and AUS
- Play an important strategic role within the payroll unit to ensure that the team can adapt to the changing tax laws, HR programs, and or services.
- Provide day-to-day management including but not limited to the: establishment of performance objectives, training and development, conducting performance reviews, developing and monitoring the budget, recommending salary changes, etc.
- Manage and support payroll related projects and upgrades which would include creating project plans, executing, testing, and implementing.
- Use in-depth knowledge of payroll related tax laws for the US, Canada, UK, IRE, and AUS to ensure all payroll systems are working properly and processing and procedures are accurate.
- Manage vendors including selection, ongoing performance, service levels, etc.
- Develop and revise procedures and practices to ensure optimal productivity and process improvement amongst the staff.
- Responsible for keeping the workflow information up to date, as well as the communications and ongoing training of changes.
- Responsible for monitoring tax law changes to ensure the systems are up to date so that we can remain in compliance for payroll purposes.
- Ensure all reduction in force processes and procedures are up to date and produced on time.
- Provide strategic direction on payroll and time-tracking systems that support payroll. Partner with Technology to ensure that business requirements and key initiatives are planned out and executed properly.
- Support all annual internal and external audits.
- Oversee the payroll business continuity plans, disaster recovery plans and adheres to all record retention guidelines.
- Assist and support global mobility efforts across the company.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent relevant work experience preferred.
- 10+ years of payroll experience, including managing multi-state payrolls
- Project management experience preferred.
- Experience in processing Canada and international payroll is preferred.
- Proficient knowledge of Canada and international tax laws preferred.
- Prior experience in managing, executing and implementing payroll related project preferred.
- Experience running payroll from a third-party payroll system preferred.
- Experience in vendor management preferred.
- Experience with Workday payroll preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint preferred.
- Advanced communications skills, including verbal and written.
What is a Must Have?
- High school degree or equivalent.
- 6 years of payroll experience.
- 3 years of leadership experience.
- Expert knowledge of US payroll tax laws.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.