Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$142,100.00 - $234,400.00
What Is the Opportunity?The Senior Counsel role within the Claim Legal General Liability Group is responsible for providing a wide range of cost-effective, high quality legal services while representing Travelers. In this role the Senior Counsel will handle complex coverage matters in support of multiple Claim clients including the Northfield (Excess and Surplus Liability) Claim organization, the Northland (Commercial Trucking) Claim organization, and the Public Sector Claim organization. This position will provide coverage advice to clients and manage coverage litigation on behalf of Travelers. The Senior Counsel role may manage a limited number of support staff. Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility. This position may be located in any Travelers U.S. office location.
What Will You Do?
- Provides counsel to senior management on complex legal issues within a respective line of business or practice area.
- Negotiates with clients or management and/or attempts to influence leaders at all levels regarding matters of significance to the legal community.
- Researches legal principles and precedents within area of specialization or expertise.
- Proactively identifies and communicates risk to internal and/or external customers and provides recommendations on how to mitigate that risk.
- Drafts, negotiates and executes legal documents.
- Maintains awareness of external judicial climate and legal developments.
- Builds and maintains strong internal and external client relationships.
- Acts as a mentor and coach to less senior attorneys and/or paralegal/staff.
- May prepare or review annual legal fees budget for assigned matters. Review invoices from outside counsel and recommend adjustments. Within authority level, approve invoices.
- Makes effective use of technology and automation in the practice of law.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Minimum of 10 years of prior legal experience preferred.
- Prior experience with General Liability, Commercial Auto and Motor Carrier coverage preferred.
- Prior experience with Excess and Surplus Lines insurance preferred.
- Prior experience with Public Sector insurance coverage.
- Prior experience directly handling complex litigation, or managing complex litigation preferred.
- Prior trial experience preferred.
What is a Must Have?
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent International legal degree; graduate of an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 7 years of prior legal experience.
- Active license to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.