Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The hourly salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual hourly rate for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$33.00 - $42.00
What Is the Opportunity?The goal of the Data Science Leadership Development Program (DSLDP) internship is to attract and develop self-motivated individuals who are highly skilled and passionate about a career in data science while providing a foundation for future success within the organization. As a DSLDP intern, you will be exposed to a challenging professional work experience in data science with planned activities giving you insight into the community at Travelers, and the many ways we solve business problems using cutting edge statistical and analytical techniques. You will assist to design, develop and program methods, processes, and systems to consolidate and analyze unstructured and structured, diverse data sources to generate actionable insights and solutions for client services and product enhancement. With many company-wide events such as Intern Symposium and community outreach events, you will have the opportunity to interact and network with many levels of leadership and management. You will be expected to work together with fellow interns to develop and present solutions to relevant business and data science topics.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Some positions may be based 100% remotely and may include a combination of mobile work and/or work from your primary residence
What Will You Do?
- The internship offers a training curriculum focused on data science and business acumen. Other program components include formal mentoring, networking, and career guidance.
- DSLDP Intern duties will vary based on the specific assignment, within one of our research groups, including:
- Bond & Specialty Insurance
- Business Insurance Research & Development
- Claim Business Intelligence & Analytics
- Personal Insurance Research & Development
- Other departments, including Artificial Intelligence and Emerging Technologies
- Work includes:
- Providing recommendations on projects that deal with data science related concepts
- Designing and building statistical models, analyses at the right level of complexity to produce relevant results for the business
- Identifying, integrating and structuring complex data flows
- Identifying new opportunities for analytic solutions
- Validate, manipulate and perform data analysis tasks
- Provide qualitative and quantitative data support to ensure accuracy of metrics
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Pursuing a Master's or PhD level degree in Statistics, Mathematics, or Data Science.
- Applied statistical knowledge and experience solving 'real-world' problems.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Experience with a programming language (Python, R, SAS, etc).
- Accountability: Strong track record of taking ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and results.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking: Demonstrated aptitude in identifying current or future problems or opportunities, analyzing data, synthesizing and comparing information to understand issues, identifying cause/effect relationships and exploring alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience: Ability to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Customer Focus: Proven customer service skills with the ability to provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrated track record of self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal: Excellent communication skills with the ability to actively engage with others while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Capability of exercising sound judgment, making decisions and committing to a position.
- Leveraging Differences: Proven capacity to works with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and view those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Strong relationship management skills including the ability to seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Work Ethic: Possession of a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done; inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.
What is a Must Have?
- Obtained a Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences, Actuarial Science, or a related analytical STEM field.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States now and in the future.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.