Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$127,800.00 - $210,800.00
What Is the Opportunity?Join the team that collaborates across Travelers to inform business decisions, drive winning strategies and enable the business to capitalize on change. Enterprise Market Research (EMR) provides business and functional area partners with objective, credible and actionable insights; helping to profitably grow the business, build the brand and positively position Travelers within the marketplace.
You will be working on an Emerging Research team driven to ensure the company is making informed future-forward decisions by exploring new and nascent topics; monitoring signals and trends impacting the future of consumers, employees, and business; identifying new experience, products, and services; and fostering an environment of informed risk-taking by infusing the principles of strategic foresight.
The Managing Senior Director, Market Research manages and conducts multiple primary research projects, summarizing & synthesizing complex information and generating relevant business insights. You will also provide coaching/subject matter expertise, and strategic direction and guidance to the Emerging Research team and EMR department; you will also assign resources for department. In addition, this position manages a team of directors, managers, sr. analysts, analysts and/or interns.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility. #LI-Hybrid
- Partners with department and portfolio leadership to evolve the vision/expectations of the team to ensure successful execution of priorities.
- Acts as a strategic consulting resource with clients and staff, providing comprehensive, primary research solutions for business problems at the highest level of complexity.
- Develops strategic business plans and initiatives for the Emerging Research team and department.
- Creates executive-level presentations and materials, and manages for internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure effective cross-portfolio collaboration, ensuring the best balance of portfolio specialization/EMR cohesion through efficient, proactive communication
- May serve as an engagement lead for one or more businesses or corporate functions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Contributes to the development and scaling of Strategic Foresight practice
- Manages all facets of staff performance to achieve business objectives; Proactively recruits for talent and acquires high caliber people with a diversity of skills and backgrounds; Manages performance and provides honest, constructive feedback.
- Understands your (EMR/Business) partner's goals and constraints to effectively manage expectations, shape approach, deliver outcomes, and proactively identify research opportunities to support business goals.
- Generates business relevant insights from the research and uses credibility and influence to enable full consideration of recommendations.
- Accepts and prioritizes project requests against team's capacity and client need / level of urgency.
- Evaluates and selects vendors, as needed.
- Makes methodology recommendations
- Exhibits a higher level of leadership to the entire research team.
- Responsible for quality control and completeness of team's work, as well as performance management, coaching and development of staff.
- Minimum of 6 years of market research experience
- Minimum 3 years of management experience required
Additional Preferred Education, Work Experience and Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, mathematics, statistics, psychology, anthropology or comparable analytical degree preferred.
- MBA, Master's of research, or other advanced degrees preferred.
- 6+ years of leadership experience preferred.
Additional Job Specific / Technical Skills
- Effectively manages all facets of staff performance in order to achieve business objectives.
- Ability to influence and interact with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to provide inspirational leadership, negotiate, influence without authority.
Project Management / Insight Development:
- Demonstrated impact using trends to inform business strategy
- Expert ability to derive insights from complex survey or qualitative data.
- Advanced ability to turn observations derived from data and analysis into actionable insights and advise on business strategy.
- Strong ability to manage a team with multiple and complex research projects from the scoping phase through client delivery, managing to a budget on projects utilizing a vendor.
- Leveraged as an advanced research subject matter expert across department.
- Strong communication skills with a broad range of individuals and groups, including management and business partners
- Expert PowerPoint, Word, and Excel skills.
- Familiarity with Qualtrics, SPSS, Access, SAS, Ruby, or related software.
What is a Must Have?
- Minimum of 6 years of market research or related experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of management experience required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.