Enterprise Search Engineer-Exp
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.Job Summary:
The Data & Intelligent Systems (D&IS) group within Allstate is a world-class technology organization focused on enabling Allstate to become a leader in the technology and data space. Allstates strategy continues to emphasize data and technology as we continue our digital transformation journey. This has created numerous opportunities in the Data & Intelligent Systems technology organization to find work that is meaningful to you. We are looking for a highly-skilled professional to join a highly visible project within Allstate.
The Content Management & Search (CMS) team within D&IS is responsible for supporting multiple platforms: web content management, digitial asset management, and search. CMS team members partner with a diverse group of clients ranging from teams that support Allstate.com to teams that support customer data across all channels.
The Enterprise Search Engineer plays a critical role in the Apache Solr product lifecycle including: design, solutioning, execution, and taking ownership of operational excellence. Large scale, Enterprise data platforms rely on the Search team to ensure hundreds of millions of documents, terrabytes of data are effectively queried at sub-millisecond transaction rates. Your expertise in building and maintaining query and index pipelines, customizing feature capabilities, and ensuring the Apache Solr infrastructure is optimized to ensure a high-availability environment will be a welcome addition to diverse, global team of technologists.
- The Enterprise Search Engineer core responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Implementation and support of large scale, Enterprise Apache Solr solutions.
- Document detailed design, functional and technical specifications in developing Apache Solr solutions.
- Exhibit expertise in Apache Solr architecture and the demonstrated competency to design, deploy and support solutions in a shared services architecture.
- Develop, execute, and document procedures and standards adhering to SDLC best practices including the Agile Scrum methodology.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Troubleshoot technical issues, perform root cause analysis and take appropriate action to remediate issues.
- Participates in the discovery phase of projects to determine high-level design.
- Analyzes business needs and develops plans to implement software requirements in conjunction with product management and architects.
- Independently handles high-impact, critical software/systems monitoring issues and tickets/ incidents.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues.
- Mentors and coaches junior developers in Apache Solr solutions.
- Collaborates with other technologists as a member of a broad, cross-functional team motivated to solve business problems.
- Candidates should clearly state on their application form how they meet each of the essential criteria as these will be assessed during shortlisting and only these deemed to meet all of the below criteria will move forward to the next stage.
- 3+ years experience with open source search engines like Lucene, Apache Solr, or Elasticsearch.
- Experience building scalable, high performing and robust Java and .NET applications.
- Scripting skills in at least one of the following: Puppet, Perl, Python, Bash, or Unix Shell and willingness to learn new technologies.
- Experience with Node JS, AngularJS, Bootstrap or other web-based frameworks.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and related tools (e.g., Jenkins, Artifactory Pro, SonarQube, Selenium, Jmeter, and so forth).
- Self-motivated, industrious person able to
GitHub or Jenkins
Hands on experience and accountability architecting, designing, implementing and delivering large scale distributed systems and/or applications for the cloud, including microservices architectures and 12-factor principles
Experience and knowledge in developing REST APIs including tooling for documentation (swagger, REST-docs, openapi spec), versioning, service discovery/registration, testing and management; experience using API gateways a plus
Experience and knowledge in web and API security including authentication, authorization, OAuth, OWASP, OpenID, and SAML
Experience in backend development design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging and big data development, implementation and optimization
Knowledge and experience using distributed version control systems (git), artifact management systems, build and packaging systems (maven, gradle, npm, artifactory, etc) and continuous integration tools (Jenkins, TravisCI, Concourse, Bamboo, GoCD).
Actual experience working in an eXtreme Programming (XP) or agile environment; experienced working in a paired programming/engineering model
Experience in Test Driven Development; including knowledge and experience in testing frameworks like junit, mockito, jasmine, protractor, cucumber, and other like technologies
Experience of Spark.
Expertise with some or all of JBoss / Tomcat, or other application servers.
Experience with Source Code Management Tools (e.g., GitHub).
On-Call Production Support rotation for all Apache Solr search environments every four (4) weeks. Rotation assignments last for an entire week (Monday-Sunday).Notes:
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities. May be required to perform other related duties as assigned. Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
Salary Chart:Test Salary Hyperlink
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.For a full description of Allstates benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.