Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$126,200.00 - $208,300.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers Enterprise Analytics Data Products and Engineering team constructs products that contextualize and provide easy access to data by the entire enterprise. As a Data Engineering Director / Tech Lead, you will accelerate growth and transformation of our analytics landscape. In this role, under the guidance of a Senior Tech Lead, you will lead teams designing and building data solutions that capture, explore, transform and utilize data to support Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and business intelligence/insights. In addition to leading design and implementation of data products, you will also mentor and develop a team of data engineers.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead development and production deployment of enterprise-level analytic data products (also potentially pilots and proof of concepts), determining appropriate design strategies and methodologies.
- Find creative solutions to challenging problems involving factors with potentially broad implications; reflecting on solutions, measuring impact, and using that information to ideate and optimize.
- Execute data strategies with an understanding of enterprise architecture, consumption patterns, platforms and application infrastructure.
- Develop business partnerships and influence priorities by identifying solutions that are aligned with current business objectives and closely follow industry trends; understanding how to apply them, and sharing knowledge with coworkers.
- Communicate with partners, describing technology concepts in ways the business can understand, documenting initiatives in a concise and clear manner, and empathetically and actively listening to others thoughts and ideas.
- Partner with data management & information security colleagues to ensure the protection of highly sensitive datasets.
- Maintain relationships with partner teams to ensure needs are met and impacted areas plan work accordingly.
- Monitor the health of work efforts and that of adjacent systems.
- Present analysis and recommendations to help influence strategic decisions.
- Lead and take action, inspire and motivate others, and be effective at influencing team members.
- Guide and coach team members, focusing on individual's professional development as well as overall team health and technical proficiency.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM related field or equivalent
- Five or more years of related experience
- Two or more years of management experience
- Advanced knowledge of data tools, techniques, and manipulation including cloud platforms, programming languages, and technology platforms.
- Knowledge and experience with the some of the following concepts: Real-time & Batch Data Processing, Workload Orchestration, Cloud, Datalakes, Data Security, Networking, Serverless, Testing / Test Automation (Unit, Integration, Performance, etc.), WebServices, DevOps, Logging, Monitoring, and Alerting, Containerization, Encryption / Decryption, Data Masking, Cost & Performance Optimization
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation.
- Five years of data engineering or equivalent experience
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.