Senior Trial Attorney, Los Angeles, CA (Remote)
- Allstate Insurance Company
- 90001, Firestone Park
- Mar 17, 2023
- May 16, 2023
- Legal / Compliance
- Job Type
- Not Specified
- Career Level
- Not Specified
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.Job Header:
Job Code: 70016088
The Litigation Services Attorney job family is responsible for managing Insurance Defense and Tort Litigation / Disputes work and related issues/matters
Represents insured and the Company in the defense of bodily injury and property damage lawsuits, subrogation, and Allstate Financial cases. Prepares for and conducts hearings, trials, arbitrations, mediations, and depositions. Prepares and argues pre and post-trial motions. Assists colleagues in the resolution of calendar conflicts. Provides counsel to business clients on day to day issues.Provides project management, coordination, and collaboration between legal teams. Monitors and reviews new laws, regulations, and case law; identifies and summarizes relevant issues; collaborates with other areas of L&R (law and regulation) department; proactively provides advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business; monitors counsel
- Review new file assignments and approve initial pleadings, propound discovery, and/or develop strategy
- Contacts clients to discuss their case and answer any questions. Maintains contact at a minimum of 90 days
- Contact claims (initial litigation plan, recurring minimum 90 day contact, strategy conferences, etc.)
- Review all documentary evidence
- Prepares witnesses and clients for depositions, arbitrations, mediations and trials including expert witnesses
- Conducts depositions and examinations under oath and prepares summary documents
- Prepares and conducts court appearances (matter management conferences, hearings, status conferences, etc.)
- Conducts settlement/dispositive proceedings (e.g. mediations, arbitrations, etc.)
- Try and/or arbitrate cases and prepares motions in liminie and summary documents
- Draft post-trial motions
- Prepare for and participate in small claims appeals
- Provide legal opinions to claims clients
- Investigate and pursue subrogation litigation as appropriate
- Second chair as needed.
- Review and determine strategy for legal issues sent to home office
- Participate in business process reviews with claims clients
- Juris Doctorate and member in good standing of state of practicing for the state of California
- Three plus years or more of litigation and/or subrogation experience
- 1st OR 2nd chair jury trial experience is a plus
- Insurance defense preferred
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office, LexisNexis (preferred), and the internet
- Ability to work well with others on a team of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by Lead Counsel
- Must be able to handle a heavy caseload
- Periodically lifting in excess of 20 pounds throughout the day, depending on court matters being handled. Attorneys are required to cover court matters for each other; attorneys have laptops;
- Bending to pick up the computer bag which sometimes is more than 20 pounds, entering and exiting a vehicle, maneuvering files and computer at security checkpoints,
- Turning and twisting at work;
- Sitting for pro-longed periods of time en route to court, in court or at court proceedings, depositions, etc. ;
- Walking and rolling brief case with files from vehicle to the legal proceeding and/or deposition, and facilitations, etc.;
- Trial preparation could require lifting in excess 20 lbs. because of exhibits, materials, records from plaintiff, etc. These materials are printed for some proceedings.
- Ability to work in a remote work/office environment and ability to travel within the Los Angeles and Los Angeles County area
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities. May be required to perform other related duties as assigned. Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
Compensation offered for this role is$80,500.00-$140,000.00 per yearand is based on experience and qualifications.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.For a full description of Allstates benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.