Sr. Director Software Engineer: Java AWS MERN
IT , Executive / Management
Hunt Valley, Maryland
Sr. Director Software Engineer: Java AWS MERN
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$139,900.00 - $230,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers is seeking a Sr. Director Software Engineer to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape. Individual will complete expert end to end engineering tasks as well as manage and lead the development and work products of software engineers. Individual will also plan and execute at a strategic level, lead and influence resources and outcomes, lead the design, development and implementation of significantly complex, unscoped problems that extend beyond the confines of a team, and establish software engineering best practices and standards.
What Will You Do?
- Lead a team of Software Engineers while role modeling Travelers' leadership behaviors.
- Complete expert engineering tasks for impactful and high-visibility initiatives.
- Build and develop discipline-specific capabilities across multiple teams, equipping individuals with the skills, tools, and standard approaches to improve the overall quality of engineering practices and skill sets.
- Assess skill gaps and develop mitigation efforts including training needs.
- Align work with business and engineering priorities to realize meaningful impact.
- Build collaborative relationships with key leaders and peers across the organization (i.e. Team Leaders, CoEs) to ensure the best use of overall resources.
- Develop robust talent pipeline. Provide unique opportunities and challenges to each team member to enrich development.
- Provide technical leadership, foster a team environment, and provide mentorship and feedback to technical resources.
- Apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned efforts.
- May assist as an individual contributor to an Agile Product Team (e.g. developing solutions to achieve defined business outcomes) in addition to leading a team.
- Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Seven years of programming/development experience plus two years prior technical leadership experience preferred.
- Experience as MERN Stack and Java Engineer using both on prem and cloud infrastructures.
- Delivery - Advanced delivery skills including the ability to examine and assess the effectiveness of software design strategies and methodologies across an organization, the ability to devise, apply, and share ways to ensure the quality, production readiness, and continued health of complex computer systems, the ability to incorporate awareness and understanding of work happening outside of the team, and the ability to develop widely used technical metrics that enable engineers to better understand and deliver their work.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to leverage expertise to improve company level capabilities within domain, consult on business priorities and optimize value by identifying business aligned solutions and thoughtfully and practically introduce concepts and technologies from the industry.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who creates architecture that is particularly robust against single points of failure, both in terms of systems and people and looks ahead 6-12 months to identify areas of need and turns this into action.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document effectively so that systems/architectures can be maintained or built upon, collaborate across disparate groups, helping to identify common goals and gain consensus, adapt language to meet the needs of various levels of technical and non-technical audiences and model and assist others in the practice of mindful communication, active listening, and messaging.
- Leadership - Advanced leadership skills including the ability to leverage internal networks across engineering and engage with other leaders to solve problems and develop strong credibility throughout the company as well as choose the most critical engineering challenges and work to improve the entire engineering organization by teaching others and sharing knowledge while creating opportunities for others to showcase and develop skills.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience.
- Five years of programming/development experience.
- One year of experience of technical leadership.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading property casualty insurer selling primarily through independent agents and brokers. The company's diverse business lines offer its global customers a wide range of coverage in the auto, home and business settings. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has more than 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $25 billion in 2010.