Sr. Director IndustryEdge
Operations, Executive / Management
Sr. Director IndustryEdge
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$109,700.00 - $181,000.00
What Is the Opportunity?This role is responsible for the overall profitability and growth of assigned industries and the development and maintenance of new and existing industry capabilities, products and underwriting support. This position reports to the Assistant Vice President of Construction, Energy and Marine Industry Edge.
The Work Arrangement for this position is based on location.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting Leadership: In collaboration with Home Office and Field underwriting staff, develop, manage and drive underwriting strategies for assigned industries. Develop and maintain underwriting guides and tools. Serve as a Field resource to support achievement of underwriting and production goals. Develop and conduct training for assigned industries for various audiences, including new underwriting trainees, experienced new hires and new producers. Responsible for Industry Collaborative Underwriting Review and Evaluations (CURE's), including the analysis of data to support corporate underwriting policies/standards as respects to assigned industries. Work collaboratively with peers in other Business Units to share industry insights and results, and with the Business Insurance and Enterprise Underwriting teams to ensure underwriting appetite is aligned to corporate strategy.
Portfolio Management: Evaluate industry production and profitability results and develop, communicate and influence appropriate strategies and action plans to achieve profitable growth. Work collaboratively with stakeholders in Underwriting, Product, Actuarial, Claim, Risk Control, Enterprise Market Research and Marketing to drive Industry Edge strategies.
Marketing and Business Development: Create strategies to advance the value proposition of assigned industries. Work collaboratively with the Marketing team to develop marketing campaigns to advance our brand presence and industry specialization. Serve as an industry expert for external audiences where appropriate. Engage with the Business Development team in supporting new business generation strategies, including engagement with agent and broker industry practice leaders.
Product and Service Positioning: Assess competitor offerings to evaluate product/service differentiation and competitive advantages. In collaboration with Underwriting and other support functions, gather competitive and marketplace insights to develop the product/service strategy and roadmap for assigned industries.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 6 years of insurance experience with expert understanding of underwriting, products, coverage, rules, forms, regulatory environment, risk management, pricing/filing processes and insurance financials required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) required.
Preferred Qualifications Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- MBA or other advanced degree or insurance designation a plus (CPCU, ARM, ERIS, CRIS, etc.)
- 6 years of Property Casualty Underwriting experience focused in Business Insurance, preferably with a Construction, Energy or Marine background.
- Thorough understanding of Inland Marine and Property underwriting and product preferred.
- Field Underwriting, Risk Control or Claim experience is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of insurance products, systems, contracts, forms, coverage, distribution channels, regulatory environment and insurance financials.
- Demonstrated experience in synthesizing complex information into succinct presentation formats for various stakeholder audiences
- Ability to manage the results of a portfolio, assess quality of underwriting and drive strategy.
- Exceptional communication, organization, and time management skills.
- Strong ability to build and leverage internal and external partnerships.
- Ability to effectively lead, influence and work collaboratively in a cross functional, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work independently, meeting or exceeding established deadlines.
- Strong presentation development and delivery skills; able to customize delivery to audience.
- Actively invests in improving own capabilities.
- Customer-focused orientation (Field, agent/broker and consumer).
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading property casualty insurer selling primarily through independent agents and brokers. The company's diverse business lines offer its global customers a wide range of coverage in the auto, home and business settings. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has more than 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $25 billion in 2010.