Corp Tech Data Engineering Strategic Initiative Lead
Executive / Management
Corp Tech Data Engineering Strategic Initiative Lead
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$143,800.00 - $237,300.00
What Is the Opportunity?The Corp Tech Data Engineering Strategic Initiative Lead will partner with Data Engineering and Architecture leaders across technology areas supporting Corporate business functions to document and drive holistic strategic planning efforts ensuring alignment and integration. Primarily accountabilities will be working with the team to develop, organize and manage the execution of a holistic Corp Tech Data Strategy by integrating technology and business drivers, leading the creation of an implementation roadmap and providing updates to the organization on the Data Engineering team's initiatives. This role will be responsible for leading the development & refinement of data strategies working closely with data architects and engineers, articulation of future capabilities needs and providing comprehensive roadmap updates. The ideal candidate will have experience working with teams implementing data quality and governance practices, modernizing existing on-premises data platforms to cloud solutions including AWS, Snowflake and Databricks as well as experience with Information Delivery and Analytics tools like MicroStrategy, ThoughtSpot and TM1.
The work arrangement for this position is based on location.
What Will You Do?
- Build and maintain strong relationship within Corp Tech Data Engineering leadership team, Circle leads and Value Stream leads.
- Partner with Corp Tech Strategic Planning and Execution organizations to ensure alignment on purpose, progress, and resource requirements needed to achieve business objectives.
- Establish engagement model with Business Partners to drive more holistic and robust planning, initiative prioritization, resource planning and strategic roadmap development.
- Work with Business Partners to establish data governance standards and data catalog best practices for strategic initiatives
- Partner closely with Agile/Delivery practices to evolve organizational operating and governance model to align with agile best practices and processes.
- Build out management information reporting and planning function to inform planning, strategic decision making and demonstrate organizational impact and value delivery.
- Develop strategic planning process and infrastructure business leadership, providing guidance and effective direction to ensure operating divisions are aligned to overall goals and vision.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM related field or equivalent
- Fifteen years of related experience
- Expert knowledge of tools, techniques, and manipulation including cloud platforms, programming languages, and modern software engineering practices.
- Excellent delivery skills with the ability to examine and assess the effectiveness of software design strategies and methodologies, devise, apply, and share ways to ensure the quality of complex computer systems, incorporate awareness and understanding of work happening outside of the team, and develop widely used technical metrics that enable engineers to better understand and deliver their work.
- Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to improve company level capabilities within domain, consult on business priorities and optimize value by identifying business aligned solutions and thoughtfully and practically introduce concepts and technologies from the industry.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to create architecture that is particularly robust against single points of failure, both in terms of systems and people, and looks ahead 6-12 months to identify areas of need and turns this into action.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document effectively, collaborate across disparate groups, and model and assist others in the practice of mindful communication, active listening, and messaging.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to engage with other leaders and networks to solve problems as well as work to improve the entire engineering organization by teaching others and sharing knowledge while creating opportunities for others to showcase and develop skills.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation.
- Seven years of data engineering or equivalent experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading property casualty insurer selling primarily through independent agents and brokers. The company's diverse business lines offer its global customers a wide range of coverage in the auto, home and business settings. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has more than 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $25 billion in 2010.