Sr. Storage Engineer - NAS/Object
Sr. Storage Engineer - NAS/Object
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$98,800.00 - $163,000.00
What Is the Opportunity?This position is a technical individual contributor role in the Storage & Data Protection Services team within the Infrastructure & Cloud Services (ICS) division of Travelers. The Sr. Storage Engineer will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining enterprise file and object storage platforms on-premises as well as storage services in public cloud.
Under general supervision, demonstrates a thorough understanding of the activities performed related to engineering support, installation and/or operations of infrastructure technologies. Plans at an operational level designing and developing technology solutions interfacing with appropriate customers, management and technical resources. Facilitates and/or participates in the design, development, and implementation of large complex technology solutions supporting one or more business and/or technology areas. Develops and implements appropriate solutions that may involve multiple platforms, databases, software/hardware technologies and tools. Strong ability to multi-task in an environment of changing priorities.
What Will You Do?
- Design, build, and maintain file and object storage solutions for multi-platform needs on-premises and in public cloud environments.
- Evaluates storage specifications regarding customer requirements, transforming specifications into cost-effective, technically correct solutions.
- Provide research and development expertise to evaluate existing storage services and further enhance them to provide a more robust service.
- Participates in investigations of application performance issues relating to storage services.
- Monitors growth trends and alerts management when storage platforms are reaching specified thresholds.
- Performs upgrades to storage platforms and their supporting products.
- Works collaboratively across organizations to proactively identify ways to improve and optimize Travelers storage services, through tactical recommendations and strategic plans.
- Develops strategic solutions that align with business objectives and architectural direction of the organization.
- Prioritizes work and manages projects within established budget objectives and customer priorities.
- Responsible for establishing and managing to established quality control and security protocols.
- Provides the division, department and business area management with timely and accurate information regarding the status and performance of the assigned project(s).
- Develops tactics and operational plans in alignment with strategic objectives for assigned technologies and projects.
- Drives the execution of departmental and corporate programs.
- Leverages infrastructure technology to develop and/or redesign technology solutions.
- Builds, leverages, and maintains effective alliances across technical and business community.
- Interacts with customers to achieve efficient, effective results.
- Multi-tasks, prioritizes according to business priorities and production availability requirements.
- Seen as a technical expert within service delivery organization (SDO) and consults across SDOs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Subject-matter expertise in designing, implementing, and supporting enterprise file and object storage solutions that will meet the needs of various workloads across platforms.
- 7+ years of experience supporting the following storage technologies - Isilon/PowerScale, ECS, ViPR SRM, InsightIQ, Superna Software.
- Strong understanding of Windows and Linux file system permissions.
- Hands on experience with Linux operating systems preferred.
- Working knowledge of system management configuration tools (Terraform, Puppet, or Ansible).
- Strong understanding of disaster recovery solutions and strategies in an enterprise environment.
- Recent hands-on experience working with AWS storage services.
- Ability to convey technical solutions to the entire organization and experience working with senior leaders across the enterprise.
- Ability to manage ticket queues and escalate accordingly.
- Must be able to work with a range of individuals from across the company with different backgrounds and styles and identify both where yourself and others best add value to project work.
- Ability to analyze and break problems into their essential parts and highlight perspectives on outcomes and be able to test potential outcomes.
- Stays ahead of new industry trends as it relates to cloud, compute, and storage solutions.
- AWS and Dell certifications preferred but not required.
- Team lead experience preferred but not required.
What is a Must Have?
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience, plus five years of experience in Technology required;
- Alternatively, a Master's degree in CS or a related field and three years of work experience in Technology
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading property casualty insurer selling primarily through independent agents and brokers. The company's diverse business lines offer its global customers a wide range of coverage in the auto, home and business settings. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has more than 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $25 billion in 2010.