Senior Counsel - General Liability
Senior Counsel - General Liability
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$119,700.00 - $197,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?Are you committed to professional growth and exceptional client service? Imagine a career as a Travelers lawyer where you can be the best you. As a Senior Counsel with Travelers you'll be responsible for high quality, proactive case handling and will have the opportunity to use your legal expertise and litigation skills to independently handle a caseload of higher exposure cases and more complex litigation matters and deliver optimal results for Travelers' insured customers. Travelers offers the strength of a national legal organization committed to your professional development while maintaining a local focus so you can be positioned as a strong legal advocate and valued business partner.
What Will You Do?
- (May include all or the majority but not limited to these components.)
- In the handling of a caseload of higher exposure cases and more complex litigation matters, your responsibilities will include:
- Litigate cases to verdict demonstrating strong use of trial skills.
- Specialize in one or more areas of practice.
- Demonstrate strong legal research, writing and presentation skills.
- Draft substantive pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery and other legal documents.
- Build and foster internal and external client relationships with a customer-centric focus.
- Provide leadership through mentoring other attorneys and legal support staff.
- Provide internal and external training, seminars and legal updates to insured clients and Claim partners.
- Provide in-depth, substantive analysis and quality reporting to insured clients and Claim partners consistent with best practices.
- Effectively utilize support staff consistent with office protocols and best practices.
- Adhere to all best practices in file handling.
- Fully and effectively utilizes available technology, case management system and automation.
- Travel as required to meet business needs.
- Initiate special projects and identifies other opportunities to support office goals/business needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Senior Associate/Partner level of experience.
- 7+ years of Litigation practice or equivalent legal experience
- Proven track record of trial skills and techniques.
- Appreciation for, and commitment to, delivery of the highest quality legal work.
- Demonstrates strong legal acumen.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge in the practice area(s) and the ability to comprehend, assimilate and communicate complex information.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the law, bench, bar, local jurisdictional practices, adversaries and the litigation process.
- Proven track record of case results favorable to outside counsel.
- Demonstrates strong leadership through mentoring and influencing skills.
- Demonstrates high level of awareness and dedication to business initiatives and goals.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to professional development.
- Critical and strategic thinker.
- Sound decision-maker and problem solver.
- Strong negotiation, research and trial skills.
- Demonstrates the highest level of commitment to customer service.
- Sense of urgency / responsiveness.
What is a Must Have?
- Juris Doctorate; graduate of an accredited law school.
- A minimum of 7 years of litigation practice or prior legal experience.
- Active license in good standing to practice law in the state(s) in which representation is required.
- Valid driver's license required depending on the location.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading property casualty insurer selling primarily through independent agents and brokers. The company's diverse business lines offer its global customers a wide range of coverage in the auto, home and business settings. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has more than 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $25 billion in 2010.