Boiler & Machinery Claim Representative
Boiler & Machinery Claim Representative
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$57,800.00 - $95,300.00
What Is the Opportunity?This position is responsible for handling 1st party Boiler and Machinery/Equipment claim. The equipment related property losses include spoilage and business income loss. The majority of claims will have financial exposure of less than $25,000, but can involve higher exposure depending on loss type and nature of the damaged property. Occasionally handles claims with additional complexities related to unique equipment and/or damage issues.
What Will You Do?
- Handle 1st party Boiler & Machinery/Equipment Breakdown claims of low to moderate severity and complexity as assigned.
- Investigate and evaluate all relevant facts to determine coverage, damages and liability of first-party property claims under a variety of policies.
- Review and analyze policy conditions, provisions, exclusions and endorsements pertinent to a variety of property losses.
- Review and analyze Reinsurance treaties, agreements, provisions, exclusions and applicable property forms that are appropriate to the various programs and losses.
- Obtain and analyze leases, contracts, by-laws and other relevant documents which may have an impact on the adjustment of losses.
- Work with customers and vendors to determine restoration options to mitigate loss.
- Establish timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Determine settlement amounts based on independent judgment, estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits and deductibles. Negotiate and convey claim settlements within authority limits to insureds.
- Work closely with reinsurance business partners to achieve optimal claim resolution.
- Write denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence to insureds.
- Control damages through proper usage of cost containment tools.
- Meet all quality standards and expectations as contained in the applicable Knowledge Guide.
- Maintain an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manage file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handle files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Provide excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all other internal and external customers.
- Identify and refer claims with MCU exposure to the supervisor.
- Identify and refer claims that may have valued added by an outside field inspection conducted by Risk Control or engineering consultants.
- Determine cases that may have fraud potential and to refer claims to Special Investigations Unit.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree Preferred.
- Property claim handling experience preferred.
- Experience utilizing computer technology; such as Microsoft Office, e-mail, Web-enabled applications , and database software.
- Prior hands-on mechanical/electrical experience a plus.
- A minimum of one year property claim handling experience preferred.
- Excellent organization skills with ability to work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Customer service orientation; empathy.
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response to all assigned tasks.
- Solid analytical and decision making skills.
- Math skills.
- Working knowledge of Excel and Word
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Hardware and software skills to utilize and leverage claim and estimating technology.
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of one year claim handling experience required
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading property casualty insurer selling primarily through independent agents and brokers. The company's diverse business lines offer its global customers a wide range of coverage in the auto, home and business settings. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has more than 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $25 billion in 2010.