Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$60,700.00 - $100,200.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under moderate supervision, this position is responsible for handling first party property claims including: investigating, evaluating, estimating and negotiating to ensure optimal claim resolution for personal or business claims of moderate severity and complexity. This position is a dedicated Claim Professional who is a first responder to catastrophic and workforce management events. The incumbent will be expected to respond 365 days per year with the ability to travel within 24 hours of notification. The position requires travel for periods of up to 30 consecutive days and often has numerous deployments throughout the year. Requires working in adverse conditions such as a post hurricane or tornado event site. The incumbent must be able to work in various climates; including but not limited to ice storms in the Northeast to hail storms in the Southeast. Additionally, the incumbent is required to deploy and assist in office based workforce management events, including providing claim assistance in any and all lines of business as needed. Handles claims and other functional work involving one or more lines of business other than property (i.e. auto, workers compensation, premium audit, underwriting) may be required. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. This position is based 100% remotely and may include a combination of mobile work and/or work from your primary residence.
What Will You Do?
- Requires extensive domestic/international travel and must be available for deployment within 24 hours of notification.
- Handles 1st party property claims of moderate severity and complexity as assigned.
- Completes field inspection of losses including accurate scope of damages, photographs, written estimates and/or computer assisted estimates.
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine coverage, damages and liability of first party property damage claims (including but not limited to analyzing leases, contracts, by-laws and other relevant documents which may have an impact), damages, business interruption calculations and liability of first party property claims under a variety of policies. Secures recorded or written statements as appropriate.
- Provides multi-line assistance in response to workforce management needs; including but not limited to claim handling for Auto, WC, GL and other areas of the business as needed.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate, estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits and deductibles and work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Negotiates with multiple constituents, i.e.; contractors or insured's representatives and conveys claim settlements within authority limits.
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence.
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations in accordance with the Knowledge Guides.
- Maintains diary system, capturing all required data and documenting claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all other internal and external customers/business partners.
- Recognizes when to refer claims to Travelers Special Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Identifies and refers claims with Major Case Unit exposure to the manager.
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required.
- May provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced claim professionals.
- May attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials, trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Must secure and maintain company credit card required.
- Ability to meet eligibility requirements to rent a vehicle required.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- This position requires the individual to access and inspect all areas of a dwelling or structure which is physically demanding including walk on roofs, and enter tight spaces (such as attic staircases, entries, crawl spaces, etc.) The individual must be able to carry, set up and safely climb a ladder with a Type IA rating Extra Heavy Capacity with a working load of 300 LB/136KG, weighing approximately 38 to 49 pounds. While specific territory or day-to-day responsibilities may not require an individual to climb a ladder, the incumbent must be capable of safely climbing a ladder when deploying to a catastrophe which is a requirement of the position
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- General knowledge of estimating system Xactimate preferred.
- General knowledge of construction, estimating and estimating systems preferred.
- Customer Service experience preferred.
- Two or more years of previous outside property claim handling experience preferred.
- Interpersonal and customer service skills - Advanced
- Organizational and time management skills - Advanced
- Ability to work independently - Intermediate
- Judgment, analytical and decision making skills - Intermediate
- Negotiation skills - Intermediate
- Written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to convey and receive information effectively - Intermediate
- Investigative skills - Intermediate
- Ability to analyze and determine coverage - Intermediate
- Analyze, and evaluate damages - Intermediate
- Resolve claims within settlement authority - Intermediate
- Valid passport preferred
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of one year previous outside property claim handling experience or successful completion of Travelers Outside Claim Representative training program required.
- Valid driver's license required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.