Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The hourly salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual hourly rate for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$25.00 - $26.00
What Is the Opportunity?The goal of the Engineering Development Program (EDP) internship is to attract and develop self-motivated individuals who are highly skilled and passionate about a career in technology while providing a foundation for future success within the organization.
As an EDP intern, you will be exposed to a challenging professional work experience in technology with planned activities providing you insight into business, technology, and the many career options at Travelers. You will not only be able to gain a deeper understanding of what you can do in technology but also who we are as a company and how you fit within our Technology community. You will receive a combination of hands on experience, access to a technology curriculum, as well as mentoring program.
With many company-wide events such as Intern Symposium and community outreach events, you will have the opportunity to interact and network with many levels of leadership and management. You will be expected to work together with fellow interns to develop and present solutions to relevant business and technology topics.
The Internship program is based in Hartford, CT, St. Paul, MN and Hunt Valley, MD. Positions are available in our Business Units and Corporate Departments. Subsidized apartments are available for students who live beyond a commutable distance from and will be placed in Hartford, CT or St. Paul, MN. Positions are available early June through the end of the summer.
What Will You Do?
- The internship offers hands on experience in areas of software engineering which is supported by a technology and business development curriculum, an assigned internship manager, and technical mentors. The 10-12-week experience will provide first-hand opportunities for interns to apply what they have conceptually learned in academia in a real-world setting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater preferred; Suggested majors include (but not limited to): Software Engineering, Math, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, and Cybersecurity.
- Exposure to Object-oriented programming (OOP) in one major language.
- Accountability: Strong track record of taking ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and results.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking: Demonstrated aptitude in identifying current or future problems or opportunities, analyzing data, synthesizing and comparing information to understand issues, identifying cause/effect relationships and exploring alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience: Ability to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Customer Focus: Proven customer service skills with the ability to provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrated track record of self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal: Excellent communication skills with the ability to actively engage with others while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Capability of exercising sound judgment, making decisions and committing to a position.
- Learning agility: Demonstrated aptitude for learning and applying new capabilities in actuarial and analytics.
- Leveraging Differences: Proven capacity to works with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and view those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Strong relationship management skills including the ability to seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Technical curiosity: Self-starter with a strong track record of exploring new technologies, applications and environments beyond required job and/or educational commitments.
- Work Ethic: Possession of a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done; inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.
What is a Must Have?
- Obtained or pursuing a technology or business-related undergraduate degree with technology minor; or a graduate degree with a technology minor; or the successful completion of a state-licensed accelerated technical learning program in technology (e.g. bootcamp) teaching foundational software development skills.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States now and in the future.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.