Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$77,400.00 - $127,800.00
What Is the Opportunity?Oversee strategic general agency relationships with delegated binding authority (Excess & Surplus Lines) within an assigned territory. Under general supervision, responsible for driving new business growth and executing renewal directives, while maintaining profitability objectives across the agency assignment. Marketing and underwriting responsibilities include: Collaborate with general agents on underwriting approach and acceptability. Review over-authority exception referrals. Provide exceptional customer service. Perform required underwriting audits and provide coaching to general agents to ensure adherence to Northfield's underwriting requirements and standards. Independently manage assigned territories. May occasionally seek assistance from a senior level Account Executive or manager on more complex accounts. Takes a portfolio view of their book of business to manage profitability. The incumbent in this job does not manage others.
What Will You Do?
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily moderately complex accounts and risks and considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security.).
- Uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting authority and makes recommendations on other accounts to meet business objectives.
- Initiates collaborative discussions.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent with business unit appetite.
- Frequently meets with agents/brokers and insureds in order to build and maintain business relationship.
- Uses consultative marketing / sales skills and successfully employs a consultative selling approach to market products to agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers products/businesses.
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners with MD to develop region/group sales plan.
- Negotiates skillfully in difficult situations.
- Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Develops and executes on a plan to meet business objectives.
- Anticipates and identifies moderately complex underwriting/marketing problems, thoroughly analyzes available information and makes timely practical decisions.
Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Fosters collaboration within the business unit and across the enterprise. Seeks enterprise-wide solutions to business problems.
- Assists less experienced employees when appropriate.
- In addition to leading self, may coach less experienced staff members.
- May participate in the training of less experienced\ Account Executives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- In some lines of business, relevant agent/broker experience may be appropriate.
- Typically has 3-5 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Previous Excess and Surplus/non-admitted underwriting experience preferred.
- Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business operations, critical issues and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Continuously seeks out market insight and uses acquired knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities.
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
- Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions.
Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen:
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
What is a Must Have?
- 2 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.