Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The hourly salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual hourly rate for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$23.00 - $24.00
What Is the Opportunity?Are you curious by nature? Do you enjoy managing relationships and employing your critical thinking skills? Underwriters perform the critical function of evaluating the acceptability of risk and determining appropriate pricing for insurance products. The Business Insurance Underwriting Professional Development Internship Program provides students with the amazing opportunity to gain exposure to this critical function at Travelers. The 10-week program provides qualified students with an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand commercial insurance underwriting experience, receive valuable on-the-job training, and learn more about the property and casualty insurance industry from industry professionals. It is a potential pathway to our 12-month Underwriting Professional Development Program (UPDP).
What Will You Do?
- Within your assigned business unit, each intern will be given a designated coach and be expected to:
- Complete core assignments and training modules geared toward insurance and underwriting principles.
- Participate and complete self-paced professional development courses in time management, presentation skills, and other key areas.
- Complete challenging and meaningful project work over the course of this program at the discretion of your manager. You may work independently or with other interns and will be asked to present your findings to local leadership. Sample projects include a territorial risk assessment to determine profitability and underwriting opportunities as well as a business process analysis to determine underwriting gaps.
- Learn about other areas at Travelers such as Risk Control, Claims, and related Corporate functions. Interns may also engage in Agency visits with Account Executives.
- Participate in the Enterprise Internship experience which includes Executive Speaker Series, Networking events, and Intern Symposium for Rising Seniors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Because the Underwriting Development Internship Program is itself complex and dynamic, we welcome applicants that have a variety of majors, backgrounds and experiences. For the UPDP Internship, we are most interested in students who are serious about entering the insurance industry and who are excited about the prospect of making underwriting their future career choice.
- Preferred cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Undergraduate students completing their sophomore or junior year preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Legal eligibility to work in the United States.
- Business Administration
- Liberal Arts (with business focus preferred)
- Risk Management and Insurance
What is a Must Have?
- Candidate must be pursuing a Bachelor's degree.
- Approximate work availability from June through August (10-12 weeks).
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.