Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$81,500.00 - $134,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?Bond & Specialty Insurance provides management and professional liability insurance, as well as surety bonds to businesses and non-profit organizations of all sizes. As an underwriter, you will have a dynamic role that blends evaluating and analyzing financial and business risk, building relationships, and selling and negotiating with clients, agents, and brokers.
This role is part of the Construction Services team which provides surety bonds to public and private owners of construction projects. Underwriters also analyze business operations, financial statements and evaluate market forces to provide consultative services to contractors.
The Account Executive (AE) will build and maintain relationships with agents and brokers to provide insurance or surety solutions to customers. An AE will analyze and evaluate risk to achieve business goals within an assigned book of business. As an AE, you are decisive, detail-oriented, and know how to build relationships internally and externally to drive results. Your ability to assess risk and sell our products will contribute to the profitability and success of Travelers.
What Will You Do?
- Manage the profitability, growth, and retention of an assigned book of business.
- Underwrite and skillfully negotiate customer accounts to minimize risk and maximize profitability.
- Execute business unit underwriting strategies across your book of business to achieve profit and growth objectives.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with internal partners within the business unit and across the enterprise to identify cross-selling opportunities.
- Foster and maintain relationships with external partners by regularly meeting in person with agents and brokers to market and sell Travelers products with a goal of writing and retaining accounts consistent with our risk appetite. Must be able to travel to such meetings.
- Identify and capture new business opportunities using consultative marketing and sales skills.
- Develop and execute individual agency sales plans that align with the team's sales plans to drive success.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's degree.
- Three to five years of applicable underwriting experience.
- Working knowledge of products, the regulatory environment, and local market conditions.
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to underwrite, market products, identify financial challenges, and analyze available information to make decisions in alignment with our risk appetite.
- Communication skills with the ability to successfully negotiate with agents and brokers.
What is a Must Have?
- Two years of underwriting, product knowledge, financial analysis, or risk assessment experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.