Construction Defect Specialist
As a Construction Defect Specialist, you will play a critical role in managing and resolving UFG’s claims for the Construction Defect Specialization team. You will work closely with your manager and technical leader, other claims specialists, defense counsel, experts, and outside vendors to drive files to resolution. You will interact regularly with Corporate Claims and Underwriting. You will be accountable for completing the coverage analysis, investigation, evaluation, and negotiating and settling large construction defect exposure cases.
- Managing assigned claims across multiple jurisdictions, as well as setting the case strategy for these claims in partnership with the technical lead and corporate claims. Be able to perform coverage analysis, duty to defend, duty to indemnify, and choice of law. Familiar with drafting complex coverage letters, which include reservation of rights, disclaimers and responses to push back letters. Be able to identity issues that need to be resolved, what methods to use, including focus on risk transfer and negotiating resolutions which create best outcomes. Proactively manage counsel and collaboratively work with counsel on settling litigation strategies when counsel is engaged on a claim, this includes defense counsel and coverage counsel. Consulate with manager and corporate claims on Large Losses and ensuring all steps are taken to achieve the best outcome. Evaluate coverage, review and interpret policy coverage, endorsements, and contracts to determine whether the claim is covered and payable under the policy. Investigate facts of loss using various methods of communication including phone, email and direct contact. Determine liability, extent of damages to properly set reserve and evaluate claim. Compile and review information from various sources including scope of work documents, defect lists, expert reports and the homeowner matrix for both coverage and time on risk purposes. Determine liability and extent of covered damages. Evaluate all for proper settlement amount. Ability to navigate through legal documents and filings, the job involves extensive litigation and dealing with lawyers both defense and plaintiff counsel. Negotiation skills in dealing with both litigated and non-litigated files. This would range from resolving claims with special masters, mediators, plaintiff attorneys and unrepresented homeowners. Write reports for the claim file to document all activity and analysis of the loss. On larger losses complete reserve notices for management and corporate understanding of the case. Reporting to reinsurers with well written analysis and continual updates.
- Four year college degree preferred or 10 years of insurance claims related experience plus AIC, SCLA or Legal Principles, CCLA and PCLA of the AEI series, or to be completed in three years. Participate in company sponsored educational programs to develop and maintain knowledge of products, procedures and industry trends.
- Adjuster license in TX and FL.
- 10+ years’ experience in handling casualty claims with 5 years total direct construction defect claims experience.
- Must have a working knowledge of high exposure construction defect claims, with considerable litigation handling experience.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Strong technical background with an emphasis on coverage issue identification and policy interpretation.
- Organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong interaction and presentation skills required.
- Excel knowledge preferred.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret policy language, endorsements, and contracts while applying them to the claim.
- Analytical ability to determine coverage and reserves.
- Understand technical aspects of the construction trade and involved contracts.
- Must possess negotiation skills, human relations skills, analytical skills, organization skills as well as oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to document information into appropriate technological format.
- Prepare and forward notification forms to management and/or underwriting.
- Maintain contact with supervisor.
- Answer and respond to phone requests on claims.
- Use mail, email and phone to secure information.
- Must have analytical judgement to determine and apply negligence laws of state.
- Must have knowledge of the law (civil, contractual), construction and building repair, good knowledge of the various construction trades.
- General office environment Occasional traveling required for attendance at mediations, courthouse settlement conferences or trials. Occasional site inspections as determined appropriate with your supervisor.