Built on meritocracy, our unique company culture rewards self-starters and those who are committed to doing what is best for our customers.
Job Title: Renewal Underwriter (UNDRII)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Underwriting ManagerPosition Objective or Summary Statement:
Reviews insurance applications for new and/or renewal accounts to evaluate classify and rate insurance as well as accepts or rejects applications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Underwrite and service assigned accounts as required by production underwriting responsibilities. Production retention responsibilities could focus on either new or renewal business
- Examines such documents as application forms, inspection reports, and insurance maps
- Reviews company records to determine amount of insurance in force on single risk or group of closely related risks, and evaluates possibility of losses due to catastrophe or excessive insurance
- Underwrite risks, insuring that all required information is obtained, proper applications are completed, quotes are confirmed in writing
- Secure payments on risks bound or written
- Review, analyze and underwrite risks, rate submissions for premium and terms, analyze exposures for quotes business, issue written quotes
- Understand Company facilities, utilizing authorities when required to successfully negotiate a placement; be responsible for your underwriting results
- Service and perpetuate existing business, and have a keen awareness of priorities
- Assists the production underwriter with insurance application review where needed
- Provide guidance and training to the assistants to enable them to reduce the Underwriters clerical workload, and to develop basic underwriting and brokering skills and techniques
- Foster and improve relationships with producers and companies
- Work closely with management to improve your underwriting competence
- Confer with the leadership before underwriting or brokering unusual or unfamiliar coverages or manuscript forms
- Perform related duties as required
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university is desired or five years insurance experience, two of which is as an Underwriter. P&C 220 license is required. Experience with excess and surplus lines underwriting agency or company a plus. CIC or CPCU candidate, thorough familiarity with applicable ISO manuals, forms, rating plans, policy forms, i.e.… coverages, exclusions, conditions and terms.Language Skills:
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.Mathematical Skills:
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.Reasoning Ability:
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
P&C 220 License is requiredPhysical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job requirements, duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on business environment necessity.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We take pride in the diversity of our team and seek diversity in our applicants.